Love at First Tea (Zuko)

Introduction:
Zuko doesn't like his new life in Ba Sing Se. But he changes his mind when he meets Y/N.

This is a request from SophiaP_05. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 1/25/2023 ———————————————

Author's note:
Sorry for the delay! I have had terrible pain in my wisdom tooth recently and wasn't able to concentrate🥲 I hope it's worth the wait!
———————————————

Word count: 1.9k

Zuko groans as he finally wakes up. He slowly opens his eyes but closes them again immediately, regretting the action. He sighs before hugging his pillow. He doesn't want to get up. And he certainly doesn't want to serve any customers today...

Some of the citizens of Ba Sing Se can be really rude, especially the upper class. He hates that he has to serve them tea every day. He knows his uncle loves the job, and he wants to help him out. He has been a better father to him than his actual father, Ozai the Fire Lord.

The thought of his father saddens him. Will he ever accept him? Will he ever love him?

He then thinks of the Avatar. That's strange, he hasn't thought of him for a while. Perhaps working at the tea shop is distracting him... He's unsure if he wants to catch the Avatar anymore. Sure, it might make his father accept him, but at what cost? Is it even worth it?

He thinks about the quiet evenings with his uncle here at The Jasmine Dragon. The thought makes him smile. No, catching the Avatar won't be worth it. His uncle is his real family. He's all he needs.

Yawning, Zuko stretches out before leaving the bed. He lazily puts on some clothes before heading towards the living room. Of course, the sight that greets him is his uncle playing Pai Sho. Some things never change.

"Good morning, Zuko" Iroh greets, thinking about his next move.

"Good morning, Uncle. I see you are playing Pai Sho" Zuko observes.

His uncle nods. "Yes, I am. It's an utmost important move I'm about to make, which needs concentration" he declares, his hand on his chin.

"I see, I won't distract you. Have you brewed the morning tea yet?" his nephew questions.

"Of course, there's some left for you in the kettle. It's your favourite" his uncle states.

As Zuko pours himself a cup and takes a sip, he smiles. It is indeed his favourite. And nobody can brew it better than Iroh.

"Ah, of course" Iroh suddenly exclaims before putting down a lotus piece on the Pai Sho board.

"I can always count on the lotus. Zuko, will you be going to the festival tonight?" he asks his nephew.

The boy shrugs. "I don't think so. Besides, I'll be helping in the shop tonight" he says. He honestly doesn't feel like going and celebrating the Lunar New Year. He doesn't have any friends here, so he would rather spend his time helping his uncle. Even if he dislikes the customers.

"Zuko, one cannot bloom without finding inner peace" Iroh lectures.

At that, Zuko raises an eyebrow. "What?" he asks, not understanding.

"If you want to grow as a person, you'll need to find peace within yourself. And you'll need to have fun once in a while" the elder man explains.

"Right... I'll go and serve the first customers" Zuko mutters as he heads out to the front of the tea shop.