xx. the wheat

While Sarah and Kiara would never admit it to the boys, their time together on the boat had worked excellently as a reconciliation. Slater had to admit, she was kind of excited to get to know Sarah better. After talking with her in the car, and now that she and Kiara had made up, Slater decided that Sarah Cameron wasn't half bad.

Slater was quick to judge Sarah, just as JJ was quick to judge Slater, and she realized her mistake. After all, Sarah wasn't her brother.

After their day of surfing, she rode with John B, Pope, and JJ on the S.S. Pogue back through the marsh so they could pick up Kiara and Sarah. Pope had borrowed some rope from his father, so they formulated a plan to sneak back onto the Crain property to investigate the well.

As they motored up alongside the other boat, Slater noticed Kiara and Sarah sitting on the edge.

"You've gotta admit, it's pretty funny!" John B called out from across the water.

"Mastermind, huh?" Kiara said.

"I'm always planning," the pogue replied. "Still hate me?"

"A little," Sarah replied with a smirk, her arms folded over her chest. "We're both gonna get you back when you least expect it."

"Watch your back, boys," Kie agreed. Her eyes then locked on Slater, who was seated at the rear of the boat, a grin on her face. "Don't tell me you were in on this too, Slater."

Slater shook her head. "I promise you I had no idea until the three of them walked into The Wreck without you, smug as hell."

Kiara rolled her eyes, though she was grinning. "I figured. You would've come up with a much better plan."

The two girls went on to say that while they hadn't completely reconciled their differences, they were agreeing to work together, for the good of the treasure hunt. Based on the way they were both smiling and chatting, however, Slater assumed things had gone better than either Kie or Sarah would let on.

After making it back to shore, the six friends piled into the Twinkie before heading towards the Crain house.

"I can't believe you guys went into her house," Sarah exclaimed, shaking her head. "I mean, didn't she kill her husband with an ax?"

"THANK YOU!" JJ groaned, throwing his hands into the air. "I'm glad someone is thinking rationally."

"JJ, name one time you were ever thinking rationally, in like, your entire life," Pope joked.

JJ was silent for a moment as he attempted to think of something, but before he could open his mouth, the group erupted into laughter.

Slater grinned and elbowed JJ, who was sitting next to her. "C'mon, Pope, be fair. He's got that pogue ingenuity."

JJ watched her with a smirk, biting his lip to prevent himself from giving a smart ass response that would definitely out the two of them to the rest of the group.

John B parked the van down the street and the pogues hopped out, ready for their heist mission.

"Didn't Deputy Dad have something to say when you walked out of the house in all black?" JJ teased as Slater exited the vehicle.

"Well, he did, but I told him I was hanging out with Sarah Cameron, so he decided it was okay," Slater replied, laughing as she looked at Sarah.

Sarah laughed and rolled her eyes. "Oh my God, Slater, I've been wanting to talk to you about that! What is with our dads being so chummy lately?"