Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Laughter escaped my lips as I watched Lacey’s reaction to this.  He eyes were the size of bowling bowls as her mouth was agape staring at the people in front of her.

“But-” She squawked her voice high, coming uneven. “I?”

“Oh my gosh, it’s Lacey in the flesh!” Danielle cooed closing the gap between her and Lacey. She wrapped her arms around her, pulling her in a hug.

Once she was done giving her a hug, Lacey turned towards me. “But, them, they are here??” She stuttered, her words not making any sense.

“Well, Lacey, these are my friends. That’s Har-”

“I know who they are!” Lacey squealed.

I decided to keep my dumb act up “Oh really?”

Lacey gave me a quick glare before her eyes filled with confusion “But what are you guys doing here?”

“I have no idea! Valerie said we were going somewhere and we all tagged along!” Eleanor laughed giving Lacey a hug as well.

I looked over to the group to see confusion on their faces.

“We’ll explain everything but first, let’s sit down and order, I’m starving.” Taylor laughed.

Josh and I mumbled in agreement as we sat down on the table.

After a couple of minutes, when we were all seated and sorts, I began to explain why we were all here.

“Now that the food is here, I’ll explain. Yesterday, we found out that Lacey’s cancer, has taken a turn for the better. She will now be able to live at home and start public school! You all wanted to meet her, and I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity.” I explained. The whole table burst into cheers. The first twenty minutes of the dinner was rather weird since Lacey didn’t open up that quickly. However, she was Lacey, so in no time, she was out of her shell. I could see it in the other eyes how they felt for Lacey.

Lacey had that effect on everyone. Her huge smile, big green eyes, beautiful features and personality always made you want to get to know her more.

I could see it in their eyes, the genuinely happiness etched in every line of their faces, the feeling of relaxation.

I was seated in between Niall and Lacey, and I turned my face to whisper something into Niall’s ear the same time he moved his face, causing our noses to brush, our lips almost touching. I pulled back as soon as I felt Niall’s warmth.

“Sorry.” We both said at the same time looking away awkwardly. I felt heat rise up to my cheeks.

Please Valerie, don’t blush don’t blush, DON’T bl-

“Aww, she’s blushing!” Louis cooed as he reached over the table to pinch my cheeks. I swatted his hand away as I shot him daggers.

Louis gasped, a fake hurt expression on his face.

“Look at Niall, he’s blushing too!” Lacey’s voice piped up from next to me. It was then I realized that everyone was looking at the two of us as I just got even redder than I already was.

I turned to Lacey “Whose side are you on?”

“She’s on our side, Team Nalerie!” Harry cheered pounding his fists onto the table. This resulted in the people from the other tables to cast us weird glances.

“Shut up.” I murmured running my hand nervously through my hair. Trying to hide my embarrassment, I bought my glass of water up to my lips, taking some large gulps of the cold water to cool my heated body.