Sanemi x Reader

Thanks @DEF256 for the request!
————————————————————————

This isn't where I wanted to be.  It wasn't even my task to complete but Tanjiro had passed out from his training, Zenitsu had squealed and cried about how dark it was and Inosuke wasn't competent enough so I was the next choice.  It wasn't that I minded delivering the note to the village but there was a chance of attracting unwanted attention. 

I had handed the man the note from the official demonslayer headquarters but when he questioned me of its importance, I began to panic.  My hands had been shaky as I signed to him that it wasn't anything too serious but just some info he had requested.  It didn't surprise me that he didn't understand sign language, tilting his head in slight confusion before it morphed into agitation. 

"God damn it, is it critical information or not?!" he yelled out, fist slamming his door frame as I froze up.  There wasn't any way for me to communicate with him other than signs.  I straightened my back before shaking my head, the universal language for no.  The man let out an annoyed huff before slamming his door in my face. 

To say I was shocked was a lie.  Many unfamiliar people assumed that I didn't respond to them out of disrespect but the truth was I was mute and incapable of speaking.  If I could tell that man not to worry about the information he had received then I would in a heartbeat. 

Instead I fiddled with my fingers for a moment before moving on with my life.  There was no point sulking when I've already been dismissed.  Taking a deep breath, I turned away from the door and made my way down the steps.  There was only a small thread of anxiety curled inside my chest as I walked through the village on my way back to the demonslayer headquarters.  Nothing sounded better than a hot bath and my bed. 

Moving down a darker street, I was instantly aware of the stares that followed me.  It was late at night, not typically a time for many people to be out so my first thought was of a demon lurking but as I continued on my way, I noticed a clutter of figures emerge from the shadows. 

"What are you doing out so late?" a gravelly voice demanded as a large man stepped in front of me.  Before I knew it, I found myself trapped as two other men flanked behind me, blocking all of my escapes.  Claustrophobia blossomed in my chest as my fingers twitched.  I straightened up, my hands moving to explain I needed to get home but it wouldn't be of any use.  These guys weren't here to escort me home. 

"Aww, look he's trying to tell us something.  What do you want?  C'mon and say it," a guy behind me mocked in a tone that most people typically used for dogs.  My hands froze as panic seized my movements.  I could usually handle teasing remarks but something about being surrounded while taunted made me begin to freak out.

"Look, I think the mute's going to cry."  Laughter erupted around me, loud and chaotic that gave me chills.  I felt my lungs constrict as I began to pant desperately, the suffocating feeling spreading until my whole body was trembling.  I knew the beginnings of a panic attack and if I stayed here any longer, I'd break. 

"Don't even think about running.  We just wanna have a good time with you.  It's not our fault you're fragile," the guy in front of me smirked sinisterly, his large hand gripping my wrist suddenly.  It was like fireworks had been set off under my skin as I spasmed.  Yanking at my arm, I did my best to escape but his hold was firm.  There was no way for me to call out for help. 

"Ha!  Look at the little bit—."  The comment was cut off by a grunt as the grip on my wrist loosened.  Taking the opportunity, I pulled away to land a harsh kick against the man that was already falling.  My breathing was coming out in shaky gasps now but I wasn't trapped anymore.  My eyes widened as tears slid down my face as I recognized my savior standing above the thug on the ground. 

"Touch him again and I'm doing more than breaking your ankles," Sanemi hissed.  The guy on the ground was choking on his spit with his hands hovering over his feet, eyes wide in pain but in too much shock to cry out.  My gaze shot back to the wind hashira.  Holy shit, he actually broke his ankles. 

Sanemi cast me a concerned glance before noticing the two other men behind me.  I could hear them in their quiet horror as Sanemi took a step towards them before the clatter of retreating feet filled the night air, the men's whimpers echoing off the nearby walls. 

"I'm getting you out of here," Sanemi whispered, gently grabbing my hand and interlacing our fingers.  He pulled me along behind him, leaving behind the man with his broken ankles to suffer until morning. 

My breathing hadn't slowed down as my head twitched about every few steps.  Panic still coursed through my veins as that suffocating feeling lingered in my lungs.  Their hateful words filled my head, running around and around till I couldn't think of anything else. 

I had been so lost in my head that I hadn't noticed that Sanemi had stopped until he pulled me close to him.  The warmth of his body brought me back down to earth as I shivered violently.  Arms firmly around me, he breathed against my neck before placing a careful kiss against my skin.  Different kinds of trembles rolled down my spine now as I inhaled sharply. 

"How could anyone treat you as anything less than a prince?" he whispered against my neck before shifting to place his lips against mine gently.  I fell limp in his hold, only focusing on the feel of his kiss as my swirls of anxiety began to dissipate.  He knew how to hold me firmly enough to hold me up and yet so carefully that his touch felt ghostly. 

I pulled away, tapping one hand on his chest before signing shakily.  'What would I do without you?'  Sanemi smiled, the scars on his face shifting with his expression.  A light blush coated his features and had my own face warm. 

Sanemi leaned in to place a small kiss on my nose before moving his hands to sign back to me.  'I love you like no other.'