3: Billie Joe - The Unwilling Relationship Therapist

It was one of those rare, almost perfect evenings in New Jersey, weather-wise at least. The temperature was balmy, but the accompanying breeze made it cool enough to be comfortable, and the setting sun turned the slightly rundown city into a more beautiful version of itself, the soft orange light bathing everything with its glow.

Frank and Gerard had decided they couldn't waste such a lovely night lazing around the house, which was basically all they had been doing for the duration of Frank's vacation; not that either man was complaining, but it was still nice to get out for a change.

Frank had insisted that they try out a new restaurant that had opened up about a month ago, and even though it looked a little upscale for their plain tastes, Gerard had to admit that he was enjoying the atmosphere of the place.

They had been seated on the outdoor patio, and Gerard's inner interior designer was having a slight fanboy attack over the way it had been decorated. The tables were covered in delicate white cloths, while colorful pots full of flowers were dotted along the edges of the large space, and the centerpieces gracing the tables were stunning, but it was the fairy lights draped over everything that really had Gerard ogling his surroundings with a look of awe plastered onto his face.

"See, I told you it was nice," Frank smirked at Gerard, which he probably deserved. He had been reluctant to come here, pushing for iHop instead, but Frank had insisted he wanted to take him out somewhere a little more upscale, and now Gerard was very happy he had allowed Frank to talk him into it.

"Well I can't be right all the time," Gerard chuckled back, pulling out Frank's chair for him before he took his own seat.

Almost as soon as they were settled, a friendly looking waiter approached them with a broad grin on his face.

"Welcome to Symphony, can I take your drink orders?" The man smiled down at them, holding his small notepad with his pen poised over it in anticipation.

"Just a bottle of champagne please," Gerard decided, because even though they weren't celebrating anything, it just seemed like the perfect occasion for it.

"I will be right back with that, and please let me know whenever you are ready to order," the waiter informed them after scribbling their drink request down and heading back inside.

"Frankie, I don't know what to get. Everything is so fancy," Gerard whined, finally pulling his gaze away from the scenery to actually try and decipher the menu. This was one reason he didn't like higher end restaurants, besides the price that is. They could make a cheese sandwich sound like the formula for nuclear fission with their habit of exorbitant word choices, and Gerard really didn't see the point in it.

"Well, a couple guys from work have been here before, and they recommend the chef's special and any of the pastas," Frank mumbled as he peered at his own menu.

Finally, after a little bit of help from their waiter, Gerard and Frank had both places their orders, and they were passing the time sipping the bubbly champagne idly.

"This is really nice," Gerard sighed out, scooting his chair closer to Frank's so he could grab his hand under the table, running the pad of his thumb over it lightly.

"I know, I don't take you out enough," Frank sighed in contentment, leaning into Gerard's side discreetly.

"You do plenty for me sugar, fuck - just you being with me is more than I could ever ask for," Gerard blushed slightly at his cheesy comment, but his head already felt a little fuzzy from the champagne, and Frank had the power to turn him into a mushy sap without any alcohol involved.

"I know...it's almost been fifteen years since I met you."

"God, I still can barely believe it has been so long. Sometimes it feels like just yesterday - you know?" Gerard murmured against Frank's hand as he brought it to his lips so he could kiss his knuckles gently.