Chp. 16

Gazing out the car window I was sad to be heading back to the city, but I knew staying in Boston longer would be impossible. I had homework, dances, and other things I needed to prepare for Monday, not the mention the whole speech I would need to deliver to convince the coordinators to allow Drew to be my partner for the recital.

On one hand I was excited to pitch the idea because I felt confident they would let, but on the other I was nervous for them to say no. If they did I would be fresh out of ideas as to who I could dance with, and knowing I could potentially lose another number made my skin heat in anger.

Drew's hand was sitting in my lap, interlaced with my own as she rubbed the back of my hand like she usually did. It was cute to me, the way she did it out of habit almost, but even this simple gesture made my heart race. She could probably tell I was thinking something serious, so she was just letting me be without interrupting. She also knew I didn't want to go back home just yet but had no choice, so she was just allowing me handle my thoughts in private.

My mind continued to run rampant with possibilities for my duet that would hopefully be with Drew. I was brainstorming themes, like if it would be a love story or a break up or something more out of the box. We didn't have a ton of time to prepare and think intricately but I was determined to blow the audience away regardless, along with the administrators that took away my solo. Doing that would only push me to perform ten times better, and I would.

The theme for the winter recital wasn't really a theme at all; it was just more of a 'moving forward' type theme, which celebrated the graduates. It would be nothing like the Halloween recital where it revolved around one specific idea, so it gave the dancers and choreographers a lot more freedom. I was excited to get started, especially with Drew, but I would need the final okay Monday at school before actually beginning.

We continued to sit in silence for a while, both of us lost in our own thoughts for the time being. I loved how I didn't have to fill the awkward silence with Drew because it wasn't awkward at all. We were both comfortable, which just showed the level of maturity we bot held, which I was grateful for.

But as soon as we were close back to home I felt the need to talk, "You know, I'm glad we did this."

She glanced over to me, "I am too, and I'm glad you pushed me to do it."

I narrowed my eyes, "What do you mean?"

"Well," she shrugged, "I had wanted to visit mom for a while but just the thoughts of going back to Boston scared me. You suggesting it and coming with me made it a lot easier."

I could tell she was telling the truth, which was flattering because I had no idea that I had played a big part. I squeezed her hand as I boated, "You're welcome then."

She laughed at my joke, "Yea, thanks."

It didn't take us much longer to make it through New York and to my apartment. I was sad to have to part but I would relive the memories of this weekend for a while, which would hold me over till the next time I saw Drew.

She smiled, "So, let me know how the talk with the recital coordinators go."