Chapter 26: He Doesn't Deserve This!

Chapter 26:

He Doesn’t Deserve This!

I shared the Headmaster’s stare as more teachers formed around us. Yuuki quickly pulled me off Kurando and pushed me toward Zero who I didn’t notice beforehand. He took a tight grip on my arms and restrained me. I struggled and tried to wriggle out but he was too strong.

   “What are you—” I gasped out as someone handed a large metal chain to Headmaster Cross. He was now standing over Kurando.

   Kurando looked up with a cross look which ranged from fear to courage, “It... wasn’t my fault.” He murmured trying to influence Kaien.

   Kaien sighed, “This is for your own good Kurando, until we get things sorted out.” He paused for a moment, “That’s all... yes.”

   “No!” I cried out and began to kick about. The Headmaster began to place the chain around Kurando. Kurando didn’t even try to resist! It wasn’t his fault he was born with a curse... Why are they doing this? He’s fine now! “Stop! Leave him alone!” 

   “Idiot,” Zero started to shake me to get my attention, “He tried to kill you!”

   “No!” I denied in hesitation, “He didn’t! That was that beast inside him! But he’s better now. Can’t you see? Just look at him!” I began to breathe heavily and Zero turned me to face him.

   He stared me deeply in the eyes and shook his head. Dread flooded over me as I turned my head to the side to see Kurando being placed to sleep by Kaname!

   “Hey!” I snapped and finally got away from Zero, “Don’t you dare Kaname Kuran!” I hit his hand away and Kurando opened his eyes again. “Kurando...” I whispered as tears built up in my eyes again. His sadness went from himself into me. I could feel his trembling thoughts and fearful estimations of what they might do to such a kind-hearted person.

   “I am a monster, Yuna. Let them do what they must.” He admitted as I placed my hand on his cold cheek.

   “No you’re not... Don’t say that!” I mumbled about to cry. Zero tapped my shoulder.

   “Yuna, you can’t do anything.” He said trying to sound assertive but instead sounding rather insulting and demanding. I glared at him.

   Kaien stepped forward once again, “Zero’s right Yuna. He must be dealt with. Something like this shall never happen again under my watch at this Academy! I need to report him the council—”

   “No!” I interrupted him, “No, anything but that! Please, he’s a good person!” I stood up in front of him with my arms out to the sides, “You need to listen to me! Honestly, lock him up somewhere at Cross Academy so he’s out of sight and safe! He won’t do it again unless he gets angry or very sad I guess. But please, don’t send him to the council! They’ll kill him!” I was right though, someone even more dangerous than a Vampire will be executed probably ASAP. But—I didn’t want to see anything happen to Kurando…

   The Headmaster and all the teachers stared at me blankly. I span around restlessly, trying to find a friendly face that would at least nod at what I’d just said.

   “Yuna,” Kurando whispered, “don’t…”

   “No… I can’t… let this happen.” I mumbled getting frustrated. “I won’t…” My abilities began to rustle around my body uncontrollably in little electric shocks. I was getting angry and scared for Kurando’s safety.

   “Zero! Kaname! Return to the Academy now!” The two Vampires reacted quickly at that command and fled before I were to release my anger. “Yuna, you must—”

   I glared at him, my eyes wide open. He stared at me and closed his mouth. The teachers stepped back but had curiosity in their eyes. They wanted to see the amazement of my powers in plain eyesight.

   “No, bad Yuna.” Said a slow, calm voice behind me. He stood in front of Kurando and wrapped his arms around me. I looked up and saw Shiki holding me from behind. My waves were still surrounding my body, didn’t they hurt him? Was he trying to calm me down?

   I took a deep breath and stood up straight. Shiki’s hug tightened as if he didn’t want to let me go.

   “Don’t send him to the council please.” I croaked afraid to hear the reply.

   Kaien sighed and span around, “Ohhhhh, I don’t know! Do we have the space?” He called out to the other teachers behind himself.

   One nodded and said, “Yes, we do have a tower we restrain uncontrollable Vampires or Level E’s. We could keep him there.”

   I smiled, that’s better than getting killed at least.

   “Hmmmmm,” Mumbled the Headmaster. I sighed impatiently. “Alright, it shall be done. Kurando?”

   Kurando looked up in surprise.

   “You should thank Yuna because we’re keeping you here. Until you learn to control your power of fusion, you will be chained up. Is that clear?”

   Kurando nodded but looked slightly upset about the whole thing. Why would he? He’s still alive isn’t he?

   I smiled at Kurando but that was soon wiped from my face… “Say goodbye to Kurando, Yuna.” Said the Headmaster as two teachers took either side of Kurando and lifted him to his feet. They were trying to lead him away but he remained standing and staring at me.

   “What?! No!” I cried trying to get out of Shiki’s hug and run to Kurando. At least a last hug or something! Why were they separating us?! “KURANDO!” I cried and Shiki let me go.

   I bolted towards the teachers pulling Kurando away. I ran as fast as possible but I couldn’t catch up. I then realized some of these teachers were Vampires! A cloud of dust then surrounded me and span in circles. I couldn’t see anything and all I could do was cry out. “KURANDO! Kurando…” I screamed and fell to the floor in tears.

   “Yuna…” Shiki whispered whipping away the wind and kneeling down next to me. I couldn’t keep in my tears any longer and burst out latching onto him. He pulled me up and lifted me off the ground, holding me in his arms.

   I drifted off into sleep in his arms. I had to admit, it was a massive day and I was tired of anything. I needed to sleep—and I knew I’d have a dream about Kurando.

   Why? Why did this have to happen? He was an amazing person… someone so beautiful inside and out… I seemed to cry—even in my dream… a wolf cub was howling as well...?