Iwaizumi Hajime - Pearlescent Pt 4

Au: Merpeople

Au: Merpeople

Requested (kind of)

Tags/Warnings: GN!reader, mentioned of death, pov switching

Word Count: 2.8k

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

The waves crashed gently against the rocks below you, slowly creeping up and away before repeating again. The knowledge that you were leaving weighed heavily on your chest. You didn't have any choice in the matter, though. The sight of the moving water was meant to be a distraction but only seemed to remind you of your circumstances, making your chest feel heavy once again.

Iwaizumi had found you. For once, he wasn't with his tail, instead a pair of casual clothes that would be easy to rip off should he decide to dip in the cold water. He swung his legs with a sigh.

"You shouldn't leave," he said.

"Because you don't want me to? I appreciate it, but I don't actually have a choice."

"It's... not smart. You could die."

You gave him an exacerbated sigh nudging his shoulder. "Don't try to scare me like that."

"I'm serious. People have tried to leave, and it doesn't go well."

"You sound like you're trying to kidnap me," You grinned sheepishly, but the permanent frown on Iwaizumi's face made your heart sink.

"I'm not. But seriously, it could be detrimental to your health."

Shifting in your spot to face him, you egged forward. "Explain."

"Take Silver. She left for a year, and when she came back she was water locked. She couldn't get her legs back."

"What does that have to do with leaving?"

"It's not the leaving that causes the problem. It's usually where you go. Since you've transformed, you'll need to keep being near water. Good water," he argued.

"There's water practically everywhere."

"Saltwater. That's not heavily polluted."

Looking at the beach, you noticed the cleanliness of the sand and the perfectly coloured water. It made sense that there were mers in the area if it was that important.

"As much as I believe you, Iwa, I don't have a choice."

He sighed, crossing his legs and mirroring your position to face you head-on. He stared for a moment, eyes soft as they flicked between yours, before closing his eyes and touching his forehead to yours. Taking a breath, he reached up for the pearls and small shell you had transferred onto a simple chain.

"You have the conch?"

"The shell phone?"

"Why did Oikawa tell you to call it that... Yes, the shell phone. If you're in trouble, call me."