41

CHAPTER 41

       While the two teenagers were walking back to the marui pod just before eclipse - as they had to abide by Jake's rules - Neteyam stopped Erìhe just before they entered.

"Do you want to go out tonight?" He whispered so that his family inside couldn't hear him. He held Erìhe's arm as he practically towered over her, a glint in his eyes as he smiled. He just wished to spend as much time with her as he could.

They already spent most of their free time together but Neteyam felt as though it wasn't enough. Though while he wished to spend every awake moment with the girl, Erìhe was worried that they were spending too much time together.

Of course she loved the time they spent together - she was merely nervous that they were making everything a little too obvious to everyone else.

Erìhe glanced around quickly, "Neteyam.." she trailed off. She couldn't look into his eyes as she spoke again - she did not want to see the disappointment which she expected from him, "You know we can't. Your dad might yell at me - I bet he thinks of me to be such a bad influence already."

"Why would he think that?" Neteyam chuckled as he stepped closer.

"I don't know," Erìhe admitted, "But Teyam, we can't," she said while holding up a hand, placing it on his chest to refuse his advances.

Neteyam rolled his eyes but stepped back, "This sucks," he complained, "Why must I be grounded?"

"You did a stupid thing," Erìhe shrugged.

"It was not a stupid thing," Neteyam disagreed, voice surprisingly low, "Ao'nung was being a little-"

Erìhe silenced him by placing her hand over his mouth, "Okay I get it. Let's just go now before your parents kill us for being out late."

"You mean kill me," Neteyam mumbled as Erìhe turned to enter the pod, removing her hand from his lips.

"Erìhe, you're back," Tuk grinned upon the arrival of her brother and the girl. "You've been gone all day."

"I've been busy," Erìhe chuckled as she ruffled Tuk's hair, causing the girl to swat her hands away with a laugh.

"You are just in time," Neytiri smiled at her son and Erìhe, "We were just about to go down for dinner."

Erìhe missed the knowing glance that the woman shared with her husband. "Great," she smiled, "Let's go then, Tuk?"

Tuk nodded while smiling and ran forward to grab onto her hand. As Neteyam watched this, he pursed his lips as he thought about the fact that he probably wouldn't be allowed to hold her hand in front of his family.

Then it struck him - they were going to eat and Ao'nung would be there.

After getting some much needed clarity about his and Erìhe's relationship, Neteyam could not wait to see Ao'nung again. Sure, he couldn't exactly show the boy that him and Erìhe had something going on - but the fact that he's aware and Ao'nung isn't was enough to entertain him.

"Aren't you coming?" Kiri asked in a monotone voice as the group was already moving toward the exit. "Hurry up!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming," Neteyam said as he walked over to his family and Erìhe. As he passed Kiri, he pointed a playfully threatening finger in her face at her attitude, "And I'm your older brother."

Kiri swatted the finger away and turned to walk out of the pod after scoffing at her brother, "Does it matter?"

Neteyam narrowed his eyes - though he was not offended. Something must have happened to make his sister act like that. Ever since arriving on the island, Kiri had been cold and distant. It went against her personality. She was usually sarcastic and joking - not whatever this was.