A Song for the Unsung Black Heroes [CLOSED]

During Black History Month, and in fact every other month, we must take the time to honour the role and achievements of African-American heroes in United States history.

When it comes to pioneers in African American history, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Maya Angelou, James Baldwin, and Muhammad Ali are often mentioned—and rightfully so. But there are many unsung heroes worth celebrating, who never got the credit they deserve.

This year's Black History Month, WattpadShortStory is shining a long-overdue spotlight on the hidden figures who deserve to be celebrated for their contributions to civil rights, politics, the arts, and beyond. 

The Writing Challenge

Write a letter or poem to a little-known but significant Black history hero of your choice, thanking them for their contributions.

For example, you can write about how his/her achievements have impacted you and how you feel inspired by their work. 

Eager to educate yourself more on the unsung heroes of Black history? Check out these places:

Little Known Black History Figures

10 Unsung Black Heroes You May Not Know

Guidelines

⇾ Your entry must be an original piece written solely for this contest

⇾ Your entry must be no longer than 1000 words. There is no lower limit, however, the letter/poem should have a decent amount of content. 

⇾ Your story must be in English

⇾ Your entry must be submitted via this FORM : Please DO NOT submit your other works via this form. Submit only the contest entry. Any other submissions will be considered spam and you will be permanently muted/blocked from this profile.

⇾ Submit your entry no later than 1st March 2023 11:59 PM EST. Any entries received after this time will not be included in judging.

⇾ Your story must follow Wattpad's Content Guidelines

⇾ OPTIONAL: you can tag your stories with #celebratingblackhistorymonth

⇾The contest is open to writers who identify as Black to reflect stories with authentic lived experiences. In honour of Black History Month, the main focus is to feature Black authors and their stories.

Prizes

⇾ The winners will receive shoutouts reaching over 77,000 writers and readers of short story community

⇾ The winners will receive a winning sticker specific to the contest

⇾ The winning entry will be featured on a contest-specific reading list

⇾ Standalone winning stories (not a sequel or can be read and understood without reading other books in the series) will be featured in an anthology exclusive for celebrating Black History Month.

Note: the number of winners will depend entirely upon the number of entries received.

Disclaimer:

Please note, this contest and its rules are the creation of a team of Ambassadors (volunteers) and is in no way affiliated with Wattpad or its staff. Judging of said contest is entirely run by its creators and is not the responsibility of Wattpad or its staff. We reserve the right to refuse entries to this contest that we feel do not meet the required criteria, that are unsuitable, or potentially triggering. We are not obliged to give any feedback relating to entries, and any given is at our discretion. Please note that the decision of the judges is final, and that abusive language or behaviour directed at the Ambassadors, the profile, or the judges, will not be tolerated.