Chapter 33: One Dead. One Broken.

The clock ticks slowly as I play with my fingers resting on my lap. I make sure to glance up at the clock to make sure it is not 5:38.

5:38.

The time in which the rebels who kidnapped my twin sister and the king of Illèa will be sending us some form of message about their whereabouts. We don't know what this message will be or how it is getting to us. It could be Felicity or King Everette in a body bag for all we know. The only clue we have is a small napkin that was placed on the king's throne.

It's funny how something as trivial as a napkin could hold the answer of life or death.

"Cordelia," Forrest says sitting across from me. "The more you stare at that clock the longer it will be."

I dare to remove my attention from the clock to look over at Forrest. We were sitting in the back of the library reading the books we found on King Clarkson. Well, Forrest was the only one reading. I was just watching the clock.

"You of all people know how I feel about control. This is the only way I can examine the situation and try to help."

"You could try helping me..." Forrest trails off in a voice that leads me to think there is a double meaning.

"You can read by herself, you're a big boy." I shoot back to him and he lets out a low whistle.

"Someone is a little salty."

I continue to stare at him with pure shock all over my face. "How can you be so calm? How can you joke around? I know you don't care about Felicity, but your father is gone as well."

Forrest sighs and closes the book, finally realizing that if I can't concentrate at a time like this, he certainly can't. "Lila, if I thought about the situation- really thought about it- I wouldn't be able to handle it. And you of all people should know this."

I feel a little embarrassed that I called him out on his behavior. I basically accused him of not caring about his father.

"I apologize, Forrest." I say and turn my attention back to the clock.

"Wow, is this your second apology to me? It seems I am warming up to you."

I roll my eyes but still keep them directed at the clock. I hear a shuffle and assume Forrest is leaving, because who wants to watch another person stare at a clock?

But again I am wrong, because I can never predict Forrest like I can other people. I have just have to learn to accept it.

I feel his warm hand glide across my back and I can't help but shiver.

"Cordelia," He says as he leans down toward my ear. "I can distract you and you can distract me." Forrest leans closer toward my lips and I don't pull away. "This is a win win situation."

Just as his lips brushed mine we both hear the door to the library open. Forrest jerks away from me and opens up a book quickly. I'm still recovering from his touch just as a guard approaches us.

"Prince Forrest, it is five thirty. The Queen has requested that you go to the throne room."

Forrest nods his and stands up and I go to follow, but the guard stops me.

"Only the prince. The queen made her instructions clear."

I open my mouth to argue, but that is something the girl I am playing in this environment would not do something like argue with a guard.

I grit my teeth and nod. "Of course. I'm sorry."

Forrest seems to hesitate as well, but I am already walking toward the exit of the library before he can do anything. I just have to be confident that he will talk to me later. It's strange putting faith in another person. I haven't done so in a while.