Chapter 31- Saber's POV

Saber was the person who knew Astéria best after Poehina. She knew how powerful a mage she was and how dangerous she could be for having seen it with her own eyes. As children, they shared food when they had some and would tell each other about the good spots to sleep. But from one day to the other, Astéria completely changed. She had always been very cold and secretive but one day her eyes just turned dark. It was a very scary scene and Saber never forgot about it as long as she lived. To this day she would see those empty eyes in her dreams. The last time she saw Astéria was when she pulled out the heart of one of their bullies. Saber fell to the ground not expecting that at all. She fell even before the body did. She thought it was over and she could feel the little food she had that day come up. But the next second the body started moving again and the heart in Astéria's hand disappeared. It looked so real but it was all a hallucination. Saber and the bully were too shocked to move and if Astéria didn't leave they would have stayed on the ground forever.

That was the last time she saw Astéria. Despite being traumatized forever, Saber still thought of Astéria as one of her only friends back then. She was the one who spent the most time by her side and knew how obsessed she was with Poehina. Even back then she couldn't stop talking about that singing voice she heard. She looked at her like a God and only lived to meet her. Saber found this funny. Who was she to criticize her friend's love life? In Saber's point of vue, Astéria wasn't that bad. Even more now that she had met Poehina in person. She was a bright and warm woman and she could understand what Astéria saw in her. She was in love and was ready to do anything for her beloved. Whereas Saber never loved anyone and slept around quite a lot without any attachment. It was partly because of her job and she didn't mind but she thought it would be best to have someone to obsess about. At least in her dreams. But it wasn't her fault if humans were so ugly. She wanted to puke imagining her loving any one of them. Maybe she was just aromantic but the type who still wanted to fall in love.

Saber accepted a lot of different jobs. Anything that would get her paid. She killed her first target at the age of 4 and hadn't stopped since then. She got raised by mercenaries and got hired to find people and get rid of them. No one would feel threatened by a tiny girl, right? She mastered all different types of poisons and learned to use a dagger. Later on she started infiltrating places and kidnapping people. She was really good at manipulating people into trusting her but never did so for bad reasons. For example, she would never kidnap children or women for sex trafficking. She was the youngest and strongest of all agents and soon even the emperor hired her to protect his first born son. After what had happened to him at 4, everyone thought that he would die in the next few years. But 9 years later he was still alive. The emperor didn't need his firstborn son anymore but hearing about this young girl, he thought that it wasn't a bad idea. After all, people could use his son against him if they kidnapped him and let him live. No one suspected a young girl of 11 years old and she was hired to stay by Sverre's side.

She had to leave someday and she completely left the country for a few years but her latest job brought her back. It wasn't the hardest job she had done and she had a lot of free time which explained why she was going to every class like a good student. Saber quite enjoyed the normal high school life and she had been really excited about Poehina's tea party. She felt like a real teenager and it was as if she was in a book. For others this was everyday life but for Saber it was a fantasy and she was going to make the most of it. She didn't want to stay a high schooler all her life of course and knew that one or two years were more than enough but this was a nice break from her job.

She was just as excited about the ball that was to come being her first ball ever. She did go to two balls to kidnap someone but she met them on the balcony or in the garden so she never set foot in a real ballroom. She had no idea why but she asked her three colleagues to help her choose her dress and she quickly regretted it. She threw them out and chose her dress alone. She really wanted to wear black because that was the color she loved wearing the most but she felt that it wasn't a very popular color in balls. Therefore she went for a brighter color and hurried to the ball. She thought she would have an amazing and calm night but she couldn't have been more wrong. What could go wrong during a ball? A lot of things.