three.

Protective Bestie

~~~~~

" 'cause you don't feel pretty, you just feel used

" 'cause you don't feel pretty, you just feel used."
~~~~~

Guilt was a suffocating feeling.

It was so overbearing that it felt as if someone had forcefully pushed you underwater.

At first, the basic instinct is to fight against the force keeping you under. The desire to get free and get another breath in—the desire to have your lungs fill back up with oxygen again. Eventually, no matter the fight you put up, the force keeping you under is stronger.

Since the fight is no longer worth it, you decide to hold your breath for as long as you can with a small bit of hope pooling within you. Maybe there's a chance that you'll be let go and you'll be free again. But the hope dwindles fast as you quickly begin to run out of air. Your head begins to hurt, your lungs are burning, your chest feels like it's about to cave in, and you're fighting—you're fighting so hard.

And finally, you give in.

The water comes rushing in and it sweeps you under, suffocating you in its awful feeling.

And there's no escape.

Tatum squeezed her eyes shut, letting out a shaky breath before finally turning her attention back to her friend.

"Caroline, please stop."

Caroline turned to her friend with her brows furrowed and her bottom lip was tugged into her mouth between her teeth."What?" She questioned.

Tatum opened her eyes. The first thing she saw was her hand intertwined with Caroline's and the younger blonde fiddling with the rings on her finger.

"You have nothing to feel guilty about, so please stop."

"But I do."

Caroline stopped messing with Tatum's rings.

"I hurt him. I almost killed him. If you hadn't stopped me..."

Tears were welling in her eyes.

"But I did. I stopped you before you went too far. And even if I hadn't, it still would not have been your fault."

"Yes it would have."

"No. No, Caroline, it would have not been your fault. None of what is happening is your fault. You didn't ask for this to happen to you, okay?" Tatum grabbed both of Caroline's hands with her own. "You were dealt a shitty hand of cards. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time and got wrapped up in a century old vendetta."

"For someone in your position, you are doing one hell of a good job, so you have nothing to feel guilty about or be sorry for or feel responsible for. None of that, so please stop thinking that you're to blame for all of this...because you're not. Understood?"