Seventy-Five

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

I walked over toward Slater who sat hunched over in his chair. My shoes clacked across the ground as I walked around the table, my head held high as I approached my twin brother who didn't even act like my twin brother anymore.

I pulled out Blaise's chair and then sat on it while I waited for him to come inside from his phone call. Baker sat across from Slater and I, eyeing us. Hell, I felt most of the table's eyes on us. I sat, arms crossed, staring right at him while he sat, slouched, a pair of sunglasses covering his eyes with his arms also crossed.

A carbon copy of my father.

Literally.

My hand slammed down on the table in front of him, grabbing the attention from him that I for once desperately craved. But what I craved the most from him? Answers. Now, I know he didn't owe me anything.

But it would be nice to know what was going on so I didn't worry.

And worrying comes easy– that's the scariest thing about all of this. The only worry I ever had for my brother was if he would be too hung over for practice the next day but never in my life did I think I would have to be worried about something so life-changing.

"Must you be so fucking loud all the time?" He grunted out his words, head lolling to the side. His sunglasses dropped to the tip of his nose, his bright blue eyes staring at me. I sucked in a deep breath as I saw how red his eyes were– inside and around. He was crying?

"I'm–" I cleared my throat, shocked by the fact that he was crying right next to me. 'I'm sorry, can we go somewhere and talk? Somewhere in private?" I muttered. His fingers came back up to his glasses, pushing them up the bridge of his nose as he laid his head back against the chair.

I went to ask him again but he was already hoisting his six foot-five self out of the chair. He motioned for me to walk first, and as I walked, I caught the eye of my father who was showing more than just a strong look of concern and shock on his face. I shook my head, urging him to just not to comment on it for once.