43

CHAPTER 43

       Just as Neteyam and Erìhe knew to expect, Tuk was the first of the family to wake up. The little girl had fallen into the habit of turning over on her side once waking up and looking over at Erìhe. Then she would grin gleefully before rolling on top of the girl or bouncing on her mattress, waking the older up.

Today Tuk did the same. When her eyes opened she rolled over to look at the place where Erìhe slept.

Instead she was met by an empty mattress.

Brows furrowed, Tuk sat up and glanced around, wildly searching for Erìhe. It wasn't the first time she'd woken up next to an empty bed - but it was the first time that Erìhe was gone while Neteyam remained in his mattress.

Tuk decided to stand up. And so, she pushed herself to her feet so that she could look around better. It was early morning so the sun shone through the entrance of the pod, giving the child light as she searched for her friend.

When she looked back at Neteyam for longer this time - her eyes narrowed when she noticed something off. Her brother was sleeping on his side so that he faced the wall - but he had an extra limb or two.

Tuk sighed and rolled her eyes as she tiptoed over to the pair. "Erìhe," she hissed while crouching down on the other side of Neteyam. She looked at the sleeping pair and smiled while tilting her head. She wondered what they were to each other.

Together? Friends?

Tuk scrunched her nose at the latter - she highly doubted that.

Erìhe's head was nestled under Neteyam's chin as her arm wrapped around his torso while the other rested in between their bodies. The boy on the other hand had both his arms around the girl, hugging her tightly against his chest for warmth and comfort.

But Tuk wasn't having it.

The little girl reached forward to pinch her brothers nose, "Wakey wakey," she said quietly in a singsong voice as she saw Neteyam's brows furrow in his sleep.

When Neteyam finally gasped and awoke with a start, Tuk pulled away while laughing silently to herself. She did so quietly as she didn't wish to wake up her parents.

"Tuk," Neteyam narrowed his eyes while rolling onto his back to glare at his younger sister. His left hand rested on his stomach while the other still firmly held Erìhe close. Her head now rested on his chest and Neteyam could feel her steady breathing against his skin.

"Mama will wake up soon," Tuk grinned down at her brother. They both glanced down at Erìhe. "I can wake her up," she offered and lifted her hand to pinch Erìhe's nose as well.

"Tuk, stop that," Neteyam said and held her small hand to stop her from waking up his girlfriend so cruelly.

"Boring," Tuk complained. She sat down cross legged while Neteyam lifted his head to glance down at Erìhe's face. The way her whole face relaxed in her slumber was highly mesmerizing to Neteyam; there was no crease between her brows that was a normality for the girl - she was always frowning when not smiling and Neteyam had grown used to seeing her brows furrowed.

However the boy could not admire Erìhe for long when Tuk suddenly grew aware of her brothers distraction. Rolling her eyes once more, she spoke again, "Hurry up," she urged him.

Neteyam scoffed at that. He wished that him and Erìhe could have fallen asleep in the forest again - even if they'd get in trouble for it, at least there was no one breathing down his neck when he just wanted to admire her.