Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Hailey

Sitting at my desk at home, I was staring at the map of the region when I decided to stop and pick up the white rose from the edge of the desk. Lifting it up to my nose, I inhaled and smiled at the sweet, delicate smell. I didn't understand, not really, why I've been acting and feeling like this. Every time I even see Chase, my stomach flips repeatedly and the butterflies in my stomach are so intense I fear I may shit myself right in front of him.

But I know those feelings and what they mean, just not why I'm feeling them. Never before have I ever even looked at a guy with such giddiness before, and suddenly I'm a week and a half in and I'm going to a school dance—which, previously, I never would've been caught dead at— with the Alpha that I barely freaking knew!

I told myself that I was only trying to get close to him, that's why I was going. I had to get him to like me and trust me and then, when he least expects it, I could go in for the final blow.

For some reason, though, I didn't want to hurt him. I didn't want to kill all of his friends, who were almost truly becoming mine as well.

Heaving a large sigh, I set the rose down and looked back down on the map, deciding that I would go back to the clearing where I struck my first victim here, they wouldn't be expecting me to do something like that, so it'd probably be easier. Plus, it was also the closest location.

Pushing myself away from the desk, I stood up and made my way into the closet, opening up the hidden panel as always and I started getting ready. Most people will tel you stories about going for a midnight snack; well, I'm going for a midnight hunt.

Grabbing my bow and quiver, I skipped down the steps silently, stopping dead in my tracks as David blocked my path, "Where do you think you're going?"

"Hunting, so get out of my damn way," I growled, though not as animalistic as the werewolves do.

"I don't think so, Hails," he folded his muscular arms over his chest, "You see, at night, the forest is crawling with deadly wolves and I can't let you go out there by yourself."

Whipping my pocket knife out I held it against his chest, right over his heart and pushed him back and out of my way with it, "Listen David, and listen well, I don't know what's gotten into you these past couple days, but it needs to stop or else I'll be forced to report you, got it? Now get lost and let me go continue my job."

With a glare so harsh that if looks could kill I'd be six feet under, he side stepped. I made to walk past him, but as I went, he grabbed my wrist, "Pull the 'filing a report' card again, and I'll pull you off the face of this earth."

"Your threats don't scare me, David," I snapped, yanking my arm free and strutting out of the house and into the dark woods. Immediately, I was surrounded by what felt like home— darkness that provided shelter and refuge for me during my hunt.

The sky was black, clouds covering any light that would come from the stars and the moon far above. It took several minutes for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, but soon enough I was ready to go. I crept silently among the trees, using extra caution as I knew full well that in the dark, the werewolves could see me before I saw them. Although I did have one advantage, and it was that they could not smell me. As long as I stayed hidden, I would be fine.