Chapter 6

I roll my eyes and pull myself up out of the red armchair

Cal's already through the door, heading towards the stone archway at the far side of the open plan office.

Hurriedly I step after him and am almost knocked over by a stunning brunette girl with a headset as she powers across the floor.

I reach him just as he approaches the arch, and we walk through together.

At the other side I stop still in my tracks and raise my eyebrows in surprise.

We have entered a circular, indoor courtyard. In the centre the female statue I noticed earlier stands on a podium and overlooks a stone edged pond; the water so clear and still that it reflects a perfect mirror image of the Summer sky that shines in through a skylight. Ivy creeps up the high stone walls, making its way around three other archways which open out into corridors leading onwards. The whole space smells a mixture of old and sweet; like flowers in a museum.

It's beautiful and still - a stark contrast to the bustling office we have just left behind.

Cal pauses a moment, giving the stone statue an odd look that I can't quite read, before hurriedly striding across the courtyard to one of the arches on the other side. It might just be my imagination, but he seems to put as much space between him and the toga wearing woman as possible.

I pause to look at it as I pass.

The statue is clearly ancient, yet it is familiar to me. I wonder if I've seen a statue of the same woman before in a history book, or gallery, or something. She looks like she could be an Ancient Goddess but I'm not sure which one - damn me and my not paying attention in History class. 

There's something unnerving about her eyes as I stare at her - I feel almost like they're watching me, and I shudder involuntarily.

My gaze wanders down to the podium she stands on and I notice writing carved into it. It looks like a list of some sort. The stone has been worn by time though, and I squint as I struggle to read it.

1. No cupid must ever be matched.

2...

"Miss Black," Cal says sharply, capturing my full attention "I haven't got all day."

I sigh and hurry onwards, following him through the ivy outlined arch, to whatever may be on the other side.