Chapter 32 - A tale as old as time.

Lucy's POV

It's now Wednesday, the next day after Devlin's hearing, and things are beginning to return to (somewhat) normal.

After everyone found out that Jess is Devlin's pre-destined mate, David completely flipped out on everyone involved in the attack on our Pack's newest member, especially Baldwin. It was great.

They've all been forced to take over the night watch patrols of our borders for the remainder of the week as punishment. Personally, after seeing what they did to Devlin, I think they deserve a lot worse, especially Baldwin. David, however, has said that we need all the help we can get with the rogues about. He thinks that, with them on patrol duty, it'll allow the more important of us extra time to train. He's also said that if they step out of line again then they're out of the Pack, though, so I guess I can't be too unhappy with their sentence.

Devlin's okay overall, managing to escape with cuts and bruises but, thankfully, nothing broken. According to him he's been through a lot worse, and I don't doubt him for a second. He's currently staying at Justin's house in one of the spare rooms until he can find somewhere of his own to live, and David and Wendy have both said that he can stay for as long as he needs.

He and Jess have seemed to make a little progress after last night, although she's not really talking about it to me or Amy just yet. Amy seems a little disgruntled at that but I'm not so bothered by it, we all have our own secrets, after all. I mean, I've kissed Justin twice now and not told them about it, and I know for a fact that there's something going on between Amy and Dean that she's not telling us about, so Jess should be entitled to her own life too.

She's not here at the minute, she told us she was going out earlier but didn't say where, and I get the feeling I know exactly where she's gone. I just hope they get together soon; she and Devlin both deserve to be happy.

As for Beck, he's still staying with us until it's safer for him to go back to his cave, under my orders. If anything were to happen to him then I don't think I could survive it, he's too important to me.

"Hey." Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Glancing over from where I'm currently curled up on the sofa watching reruns of 'Gilmore Girls' I see Beck standing in the doorway, his arms crossed loosely over his chest as he leans his shoulder against the doorframe.

"Finally awake?" I reply with a grin.

It's closing in on midday now, I woke up two hours ago, but Beck had simply thrown a pillow in my face when I asked him if he wanted breakfast so I left him to it.

"No, I'm sleepwalking, genius," he replies sarcastically, moving over to sit on the sofa next to me before suddenly stating, "it's Wednesday."

"Congratulations," I say. "Who knew you had the brain capacity to count the days of the week?"

The next thing I know, I'm being shoved off the sofa and onto the floor, landing on my butt with a thud.

"Hey!" I cry out accusingly. "The hell was that for?"

"Don't mock me," he mutters, but he's unable to hide the smirk that tells me he's just kidding.

I huff and climb back onto the sofa as the end of part arrives on the TV screen, starting up five minutes worth of adverts.

"Why aren't you in school?" he asks.

"I didn't feel like going," I reply, then catch sight of the disapproving look he's giving me so quickly defend myself with, "neither did Jess or Amy."