45

• AMALIA •

After a tense dinner where everyone sends me pitiful looks, I walk out into the back garden and sit on one of the patio chairs, placing Petal onto my lap.

I stare out at the stars with nothing but the hot air to keep me warm in my shorts and top. I idly pet Petals back as I gaze out at the horizon, eyes glassy.

I don't know how long passes before the door opens again. I turn around. Mason walks out, face battered. I bite my bottom lip; that's all my fault. He smiles at me. I smile back.

"Hey, Ammy." He says. "What're you doing out here?"

I shrug.

"Are you feeling okay?" He asks.

I nod as he sits down on the chair across from me.

"You sure?" He questions after a moment, voice oddly soft. I nod again.

     He leans back and looks up at the sky. His bruises have yellowed, and his eye isn't so swollen anymore. He looks better than he did, but I still feel horrible.

     If I had just locked my door, none of this would have happened. Masons face is bashed in because of me.

     I don't realise that my older brother has asked me a question until he says my name. "Amalia?"

"Hm?"

"I asked if you wanted me to get you a drink." He says. I can hear the concern lacing his tone; I hate it.

"No thank you." I whisper.

He cocks his head to the side. "You can talk to me if you want to, Amalia. I know you may not like me, but I want you to know that I really am sorry. I don't know what was wrong with me, I was acting like a dick."

I inhale. "Do—d-do you promise you w-won't be m-mean again?"

He nods. "Of course I won't."

I offer him a small smile. "Th—then it's okay."

His lips tilt up into a grin. "Yeah?"

"Yeah." I reply.

His smile widens. He stands up and closes the distance between us, leaning down to wrap me up in a hug. I feel him plant a kiss in my hair before he goes and sits back down in his seat.

Petal stands up and waddles over to my hand. I smile and lift her up, cradling her against my chest as I cross my legs. She licks my nose.

When I look up, Mason has a kind look on his face. "Come on," he says, "let's get inside."

I stand up and follow him back into the house. When we walk into the kitchen, we see Elijah sitting at the counter on his phone. He looks up and smiles. "Hey, guys."

I wave at him.

"How are you feeling, Amalia? Does your stomach hurt?" He asks.

I shake my head. My stomach pains have dimmed, surprisingly, although I'm not sure why.

"Do you want anything? Some food?" He questions.

I shake my head again.

"Alright."

     At that moment, the doorbell rings. I look up at Mason, who furrows his eyebrows before walking out of the kitchen. I follow him, not stopping even when Elijah calls my name.

Petal looks over my shoulder as I pause a few feet behind Mason. He opens the door, revealing my grandfather, who has a tentative smile on his face.