You taste of sage

'So where were you?' Will demanded.

He was wearing a green surgeon's shirt with jeans and flip-flops, which was probably not standard hospital protocol.

'What do you mean?' Nico asked.

'I've been stuck in the infirmary for, like, two days. You don't come by. You don't offer to help.'

'I ... what? Why would you want a son of Hades in the same room with people you're trying to heal? Why would anyone want that?'

'You can't help out a friend? Maybe cut bandages? Bring me a soda or a snack? Or just a simple How's it going, Will? You don't think I could stand to see a friendly face?'

'What ... my face?'

The words simply didn't make sense together: Friendly face. Nico di Angelo.

'You're so dense,' Will noted. 'I hope you got over that nonsense about leaving Camp Half-Blood.'

'I - yeah. I did. I mean, I'm staying.'

'Good. So you may be dense, but you're not an idiot.'

'How can you even talk to me like that? Don't you know I can summon zombies and skeletons and -'

'Right now you couldn't summon a wishbone without melting into a puddle of darkness, di Angelo,' Will said. 'I told you, no more Underworldy stuff, doctor's orders. You owe me at least three days of rest in the infirmary. Starting now.'

Nico felt like a hundred skeletal butterflies were resurrecting in his stomach. 'Three days? I - I suppose that would be okay.'

'Good. You ready, Death boy?' Will asked.

Nico stared at the son of Apollo's blonde mop of hair and eyes as blue as the sky on a sunny day.

'Thank you.' The son of Hades said out of the blue.

'For what?' Will furrowed his eyebrows.

'For treating me like a normal demigod, for not despising me, for not being scared of me, for being my friend.' Nico said in a breath.

'Oh, please. You have friends - or at least people who would like to be your friend. You pushed yourself away. If you'd get your head out of that brooding cloud of yours for once -' Will exclaimed. 'Why should being a son of Hades be a curse? You have a darkness to you that I like, Death boy, you're strong ... Gods of Olympus, you shadow-travelled a statue and two people across the world alongside you! You knocked out six Romans alone! Holy Hephaestus, di Angelo!'

'But ... I'm gay!' Nico hissed. He then felt himself blush furiously.

Will laughed. 'So am I.'

'You are?' Nico croaked.

'You are dense, Death boy.'

Nico opened and closed his mouth several times, as if he wanted to say something but couldn't speak.

'Just kiss me, you idiot. I know you want to.'

When Nico wasn't responding, Will huffed as if the effort was killing him, then leaned in and pressed his mouth to the son of Hades'. Nico felt sparks run through his body, as if Jason were electrocuting him. Will's hands tugged at his hair, pulling him closer. A smile tugged at the son of the sun god's lips as he realized Nico was responding to the kiss. When they broke apart, both panting, Will opened his eyes slowly, as if relishing the ghost feeling of Nico's lips.

'Not bad, di Angelo,' Will praised. 'You taste of sage.'

'Not bad?' Nico glared at him. 'That was my first kiss, you stupid-!'

'I was your first kiss?' Will asked, disbelieving.

'Of course you were! I've only just got over my first crush and you waltz along and -' Nico caught himself.

Will kissed him again. The son of Hades was no expert, but he was sure the general message was I'm here for you.

'Will you go out with me, Death boy?' Will asked, shy for once.

Nico crashed their mouths together. He suprised himself more than Will by doing so. He wrapped his arms around the son of Apollo's neck and pulled him down onto his mouth. Nico reflected on Will's words. You taste of sage. He decided Will tasted of a sunny day. He wasn't sure how that was possible, but Nico got a warm, fuzzy feeling from kissing Will, like lying in the sun. Meanwhile, Will's hands had cupped Nico's face and were holding him gently.

'Three days in the infirmary, di Angelo,' Will drew a sharp breath. 'Wouldn't want you pooling into nothingness after this!'

'Oh, shut up, sunshine!' Nico mocked.

'Whatever, Death boy.'

Will led Nico into the Apollo cabin and had him lie down on a bed by the window.

'Sleep as much as you can. I'll check up on you every once in a while.' Will instructed. He then reminded Nico 'Doctor's orders.'.