Chapter Twenty-Two: Not Just Pain And Anger

Picture is my edit of Glory Northern's S.H.I.E.L.D. File.

Music is "Eyes Closing" by Two Steps From Hell & Thomas Bergersen.

All rights go to their rightful owners.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"There is so much more to you than you know. Not just pain and anger. There is good, too, I've felt it. When you can access all that, you'll possess a power no one can match." ~Charles Xavier

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"Higher," Carol commands. "You can do it, Glory! You'll never be able to take off if you don't try to go higher."

Frustrated, I shout an obscene word and try it again. It's not like I've been at it for hours already or anything. It's not like I don't have Pietro here for support, or that Steve isn't here either. Today's just not my day. I've already fallen flat on my face.

Twice.

"I'm trying!" I shout back, trying not to sound mean.

"You need to focus, Glory. No bad guy is going to let you sit for five minutes and focus." Okay, so she has a point.

"I'm trying something different now," I say, tired of failing over and over. I reach down into my emotions, ignoring calm and peace. I instead grab rage, anger, destructive behavior. Anything I've ever felt angry about, any person who's hurt me, I take that emotion and fuel it to my power.

My hands start to glow golden. Carol's eyes get wide. "Glory?" she asks. "What are you doing?"

"Using a different emotion for fuel." I continue feeding the power, feeling the heat rise in me. I open my arms and jump up.

To my surprise, I rise farther than I've ever gone. At least twenty feet off the ground. I open my eyes and see how far I am. "Carol!" I shout, smiling.

I look to Carol, expecting pride, but instead I see concern and worry. "Glory-"

"I did it! Finally." I laugh to myself, twirling in the air.

"Glory!" Carol shouts, her eyes wide in panic. "Your hands!"

I look down to my hands and my smile drops immediately. They're starting to turn black. Cracks appear, hurrying up my palms to my wrists.

I scream and immediately stop using my abilities. I drop from the sky, falling towards the floor. Luckily, Carol has quick reflexes and flies to catch me midair. She sets me on the ground, taking my hands and looking them over.

The heat from my head starts to fade away, and it leaves am empty space. I feel dizzy, starting to see my vision go blurry. Black dots appear.

"Glory? Oh, no. Gloria, stay with me! Stay with-"

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"Guys, she's coming to," I hear a male voice say. Tony maybe?

"Get out of my way!" I hear another voice say, and this one I know for certain: Pietro.

I shift my head from side to side, trying to shake the daze from my head. I can't move my body. What's going on? What happened?

"Whoa there, kiddo," Tony says. "Don't shift so much."

"She is scared," I hear a Sokovian woman say. "She is wondering why she cannot move."

"G, just stay still," Clint whispers. "Open your eyes."

My eyes eventually flutter open. I see pretty much every Avenger standing in the room. A hospital room? Maria and Carol are outside the door talking, Tony is looking over my stats, Nat and Wanda along with Vision are standing at the foot of my bed, Clint and Thor are by my right side, and Pietro is on my left. They all look terribly worried, especially Pietro.