46

• LORENZO •

I feel like an idiot.

     Why did it take me so long to realise that Amalia doesn't like her room anymore. As I survey the wrecked bed and floor, it hits me like a brick. She doesn't feel safe here, and I was the asshole who brought her here once she fell asleep on the couch.

     I begin to pick things up as a plan comes to mind.

• AMALIA •

I wrap my arms around myself as my stomach pulses with an ache.

The door to my fathers room—where I've been all day—opens and Grayson walks in. He smiles at me as he advances to my side, then sits next to me. I smile back tentatively.

"Hey, cutie." He says. I blush at the nickname, making his grin widen. "How are you feeling?"

I shrug, even though my stomach feels like it's on fire. He tilts his head, and I begin to notice the sound of a hammer banging a nail into a wall.

     I furrow my eyebrows. I'm imagining it, probably. Sounds like that have been racking my brain every time I fade in and out of consciousness.

     "Do you want me to get you anything?" He asks.

     I shake my head.

"Okay." He says quietly. He looks at Petal, curled into my side, and smiles again. He reaches out a hand to pet her round head, and she snuggles into it.

After a few moments, he returns his gaze to me. "Are you sure you don't want me to get you something?"

I nod.

"Yes."

His lips tilt up at the corners. "Okay." He says. He stands. "I'll see you later."

I wave goodbye to him, and he leaves the room. I roll back over and snuggle into the sheets.

"Amalia." My fathers soft voice wakes me up. I open my eyes to look up into his, identical to my own. He smiles at me. "Hi, baby. Do you feel like coming down for dinner, or do you want me to bring it up for you?"

"I wanna come." I whisper.

"Okay, sweetheart." He says quietly. He puts his hands under my arms and scoops me up, then urges Petal into my grip before carrying me out of the room. He plants a kiss in my hair as he takes me downstairs. I lean my head on his shoulder and try not to fall asleep when he begins rubbing my back.

When we get downstairs, he sets me down on my usual chair. I look around the table; only Cole and Grayson are here.

Just as I'm about to ask if anyone else is coming, the kitchen door opens and Xander and Elijah walk in, followed by Mason. They smile at me before sitting down. I frown. "Did Grandad leave?" I ask quietly.

"Yeah. He came to say bye to you, but you were asleep." My dad tells me, piling food onto my plate.

"Oh."