Interlude: Edo Phoenix

What do you know of Othello game?

It's a board strategy game, a modern game of already preexisting game called Reversi.

Played on an uncheckered 8x8 board, the game makes use of piece called disk. Each disk has two faces. One black and one white. the game begins with four disks placed in a square in the middle of the grid, two facing black-side-up, light dark-side-up, so that the same-colored disks are on a diagonal.

The game play as each player moved their disk to claim the board.

It was a game that Edo Phoenix favors.

Right now, he in a room that was dimly lit, with only the full moon from the open, tall windows, as the light source. Staring at Othello board.

"Thins have gone really well." He hummed. One hand playing with a disk.

If asked, he would admit he was afraid he had takes it too far with Kaito. He heard the scream full of anguish, after all. And while in their other instances have Kaito quickly bounces back within a week of time, he was worried that this time he really break Kaito.

That won't do it.

Kaito play important role in this game. He cannot quit it just yet. The finale is not yet upon them.

Putting down the disk black face up, revealing it has crest in color that resemble a galaxy. "It was truly good thing we have new players enter the game."

Snapping his fingers. Four pieces manifested into existence. Three landed in on board. Black face-up.

One has red crest that was like stylized two R mirroring each other.

One has a purple crest that resemble a mix of castle wall, helmed, and spear, dimly glowing

One has pink crest in symbol of winged musical note, and glowing like a little star

One landed on Edo's hand, which he carefully placed on the board, black face-up. Blue doll head with set of razor-sharp teeth.

"Kurosaki Shun, Sakaki Yuto, Hiiragi Yuzu, and lastly, my dear pupil, Shiunin Sora." Smile appears on his face. "Not the lineup I have been expecting. Not that I complain."

When he received the news that Roget had fucked up with Synchro, Edo know it was just matter of time before he encounters the Lancers and allies. He didn't expect one of it to be one of the girls that the Professor coveted oh-so-much.

"I really have no complain."

Even if he had to scrap off some of his plans, it was not completely unsalvageable.

In fact

Isn't it better to be this way?

"I hope you four had get comfortable with the Resistance." He send them his well-wishes. "Because,"

Another snap, and two more disk landed on the board.

White face-up. With identical crests of a women carrying a weapon and wearing a tiara.

"The time is about to run out. The Professor is getting impatient lately. Which mean, the game will soon reach its climax."

Shame. But it has been a long game that Edo plays.

Too long of a game make one exhausted. He could do with some well-deserved break for his performances. He deserves that much.

Someone slipped into the room.

"Cannot sleep, chibi?"

The Child just stares at Edo.

"Hm? What is it?"

"...will it be over?"

Chuckling, Edo approach the child and patted him on the head.

"Soon." He promises. "And everything will be alright. You have my words, Chibi. And I don't break promises."

"And no one will get hurt?"

"Except those who deserves every bit of pain I plan to unleashed."

"...okay."

Sighing, Edo pull something from his pocket and kneels.

"Someone I know is obsessed with control." He began to tell a story. "He symbolizes everything with chess piece. King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, and Pawn. I always find him too short-sighted, since people tends to pull the unexpected when they are backed into corner. That, is one of the reasons why I prefer Othello. Do you know the other reason?"

"No. what is it?"

Edo take the child's hand and put something in it.

An Othello disk. One with writing of [Destiny] on it.

"Othello disk has two faces. Black and white. Depends on side it has. And unlike Chess piece that was thrown away after beaten, Othello disk get claimed by winner instead."

Golden eyes widen.

"Commander." The intercom went to live. "The Tyler sisters have arriving with new batch of soldiers."

"Really, now?" Edo raises an eyebrow. "Well, I do lose quite a number of them. The last batch is just terrible. Very well. Bring them to the briefing room. I'll be there shortly."

"Yes, sir."

The child was staring at Edo.

"I don't understand." He whispered. "Why?"

Edo patted his head.

"Because I am not a Hero, Chibi. I am Anti-Hero. The Dark Knight. I'll do even dirtiest of tricks to get my justice."

He is not afraid to dirty his hands.

"Go to your room, Chibi. It was not safe for you to come out."

The child nodded, and return the disk to Edo. Slipping out of the room using the same route he went in.

"Now then..."

Edo flipped the Disk, playing with it.

"I wonder what will become this disk of mine. Would it remain white until the end...? Or would they convert it to black?"

He has his preference. It shaped his action and decision. And right now? He will pull string to ensure he get his preferred end.

The Professor is not the only one that get impatient.

.

"Welcome to the Xyz Dimension. My name is Edo Phoenix, Commander-in-Chief. You may call me Commander Phoenix or simply Commander. Please take note that I hold certain standards that I am not afraid to enforce. Failure in meeting the standards is not tolerable."

"What happened if we didn't meet the standard?"

The smile that was the answer unnerves everyone.