Chapter 46

Saturday 3rd April, 1977

I'd been moping again, and the marauders did not like it. They still didn't know the exact reason why, except Remus of course, but I knew James had suspicions it was about my 'friend' that I'd told him about.

The point was, the marauders were not happy with my mood, so they'd taken the job of making me feel better into their own hands. Without my permission, I might add.

"Come on, Y/n, a party will be fun," James persuaded.

I sighed. "I don't feel like a party."

"What a ridiculous thing to say," Sirius said. "Everyone feels like a party.

"Well actually-"

"Moony are you on our side or not?" Sirius hissed.

Remus just rolled his eyes and held up his hands in defeat while the other three focused back on me. I could tell from their eagerness that they wouldn't take no from an answer, no matter how much I tried to fight it. They were too desperate for me to be happy and desperate for a party. Two birds with one stone in their eyes.

A night of hell in mine.

Nevertheless, I decided to agree anyway, because I had been moping around lately and secretly hoped that maybe a party would make me feel better. Plus there would be alcohol, so if nothing else went well at least I had that.

"Fine, you can throw me a stupid party," I grumbled.

The marauders cheered, Peter and James doing a celebratory dance with one another as Sirius jumped into Remus's arms excitedly. I rolled me eyes but was pleased by the reaction, glad I was making someone happy.

I spent the rest of the day with Lily, Marlene, and Mary in their dorm, the girls a real help in lifting my mood. Marlene and Mary seemed to know exactly why I was upset, like they could sense it or something, and they did their best to cheer me up, which was significantly better than the marauders efforts.

"So the marauders are throwing you a party?" Mary asked.

I nodded mournfully.

"Pretty good idea," Marlene commented. I sent her an incredulous look. "What? It is! It'll take your mind off whoever you're sad about and ensure you'll have some fun! Maybe you'll even meet someone."

I grumbled at the logic in her words and threw a pillow at her. I just didn't have the motivation or effort to go to the party, and as the thought that maybe I just wouldn't go entered my mind the girls decided to help me get ready for it, so there was no escaping.

We all got ready, and when we went downstairs to the Gryffindor Common Room we found it had been decorated for the event, with balloons, food, and most importantly, alcohol. I mustered up a smile for the marauders and other Gryffindors that were there and started socialising.

The marauders had gone full out, inviting people from other houses too, and I spotted Dorcas enter and waved her over.

"Thank god you were here," Dorcas said. "I was afraid I'd be alone for the party."

"Lucky for you I'm here then," I said. "Though I doubt you would have minded if I wasn't here since Marlene is."

Dorcas's head swivelled around. "She is? Where?"

I laughed at her reaction and pointed to where Marlene was talking to Mary and Lily. Dorcas followed my gaze longingly.

"Would you like me to introduce you to her?" I asked.

Dorcas's eyes widened and she shook her head, then nodded it, then shook it again. "I don't know! I want to talk to her, but what if I mess everything up?"