Writing On The Wall

I paced back and forth in front of the door not really sure if I should leave or if I should stay. I couldn't hear Noah any longer so I assumed that they had succeeded in calming him down. What was I supposed to do with knowledge? How could I help Noah? I leaned myself against the wall with a sigh crossing my arms over my chest. It was to long after that Ryder came through the door. If he was surprised to see me there he didn't let on to the fact. 

Actually he only turned and walked away from me as If he hadn't seen me at all. I pushed off the wall and quickly caught up to him, "What am I supposed to do now?" I ask him a bit frustrated. 

"What do you mean?" He questions back as If he had no idea what I could be talking about which only made me more annoyed. 

"What do you mean, what do I mean?" I mock, "You have me follow you to a creepy dungeon—" 

"Basement." He corrects. 

I turn my head and glare at him, "Basement." I amend, "And reveal that my ma—I mean that Noah is—whatever the hell that was. Not only him but you as well and goddess knows who else..." I hear my tone rising into a hysterics level, "And you are acting as though we were simply discussing the weather!" Ryder looks around and then grabs me by the arm and pulls me into an empty hallway. He pushes me up against the wall with a bit of force that it shocks me into silence. He put his hand on the wall near my head, "First of all you need to calm down." He suggests in a hush whisper.

I glare up at him for a moment before holding up a hand, "Okay I'm calm—you didn't need to be so rough..." I say as he pushes off the wall to create space between us. He runs a hand through his hair in a frustrated manner, "You have to understand that all the people in this pack have pasts, and some are less glorious than others. We all joined because we saw it as a way to start over. To have something we never thought we could—If a rogue could find a true mate and have her accept him then it was possible for others of us..." 

I observed him more closely noting that he seemed agitated but it was probably because he was talking about the past. It was the same way Noah got when anyone brought up the past. I feel my expression soften, "I'm sorry if I came off as insensitive or something..." Ryder meets my gaze for a moment and then nods his head, "Noah saved me. I was forced into being a rogue by my old pack as punishment for something I did that was foolish. I thought I would never experience pack life again or know the love of my mate but I accidentally found my way onto Noah's lands. It was a painful process but he saved me—I owe him everything." 

I swallow hard and nod my head, "I understand—" 

"No, you don't." He says back harshly, "You've been bad mouthing and treating him like garbage since you met him. I'm sure he isn't the easiest to get along with but he's taken care of you, provided you with safety, and made sure you had a place in this pack. I know you were rejected by your previous mate but Noah is not him. If you don't think you can be with Noah and be the mate he deserves then you should leave because I won't watch my friend destroy himself." With that said he turned and walked away from me. 

I stood there slightly stunned by his harsh words. I hadn't meant to be a brat, and perhaps I had been a little harder on Noah than he deserved. I groaned in frustration and made my way back towards my room with my mind mulling over what Ryder had said to me.