Plan B

Plan B

I was desperate.

Seeing my aunt proved to be anything but an enlightening experience. All it did was make me doubt her sanity and grow even wearier of dodgy psychics. Rest assured, I wouldn’t be going back to that picket fence house again. Ever.

            So, now I was on my next option. It was the place I once swore you would have to drag me into, the place where only the nerds went into during high school- the people I used to laugh at and tease.

            I guess I was one of those dorks now.

            The public library was one of the oldest in the state. It crumbled against all of the skyscrapers around it, the marble pillars unstable and the wooden doors weathered. When I entered I chucked away a cupcake wrapper before looking up… and I almost ran back out again like there were pit bulls behind me at the sight of the amount of books.

            Miraculously, I managed to take a step forward instead

            The whole place was covered in wall-to-wall shelves of books. Above them were signs indicating what type of information they held- fiction, history, biology, etc. I didn’t know where I was going to go. In fact, I had no idea what I even wanted to do.

            I really thought that if I just walked in here all of the answers would come to me. They would rush over me like a waterfall and all of my problems would be solved.

            The power of books obviously wasn’t that strong, if it existed at all.

            Not knowing exactly what career path I planned to study, I drifted towards a random section. I picked out the first book I saw- a blue, leather hard cover- and sat at one of the tables at the back. It was a nice little area, complete with beanbags in one corner and a study space in the other. Though the comfy chairs were calling to me, I forced myself to seat behind the hardwood like a good little nerd.

            Apparently there weren’t many nerds where I lived, since the place was practically empty. Or maybe they just used the college libraries.

            Or maybe the nerds have finally died out with all the inter-marriages with normal people.

            Ah, I’m so mean.

            “You’re sitting in my seat,” a hard voice said behind me during my mental rant. I jumped before turning around, intending to slap the hell out of whoever it was.

            Instead, I almost jumped him right then and there- in the middle of the freaking public library. I’d never seen someone so good looking. He blew all the footballers I hooked up with out of the park.

            Well, he did until I saw his getup.

            I’m talking checkered slacks, crisp white shirt and a bright red tie that clashed with everything. He looked like he just came from auditioning for clown school.

            A small giggle escaped me.

            “What are you laughing at?” he asked, an adorably confused look coming over his face.

            “Nothing,” I continued to chuckle.

            “Riiight…” He looked at me like I was insane. “Now get the fuck out of my chair.”