The games we play

I felt like a doppelgänger.

It was as though Veronica Russo no longer existed.

I stared back at myself in the mirror as Rosario and the girls put on some finishing touches on my appearance.

They dyed my hair blonde, exactly like Mira's. They put on contact lenses to match her eye color. Patrizio was right, I can never be Mira. But I can't help but see her ghost whenever I look in the mirror... watching me, haunting me.

After getting me all dolled up, Rosario sent me to Patrizio's office. I opened the door without knocking, just like Mira would.

He stood with his back toward me. I strode up to him and snaked my arms around his torso, "Il mio bambino, mi sei mancato" He turned to me.

I ran my fingers through his silky hair and he closed his eyes like a cute little cat being rubbed by its owner.

He wrapped his arms around me tightly, afraid of letting go. I could feel the sorrow in his embrace, the way he sighed every time he exhaled. He buried his nose in the hollow of my neck, breathing in my fragrance.

We stayed that way for a while before he spoke: "perchè mi hai lasciato? Dimmi." He finally broke the hug and held my arms. "mi avevi promesso per sempre ma te ne sei andato. Ho aspettato"
He fell to his knees and broke down in tears. I have never seen him in such a terrible state. I felt sorry for him.

I held his hands and helped him up. Before I could stop myself, my fingers went under his chin and pulled his face closer. My lips and his lips made contact and we kissed.

I didn't wait for him to take the lead, I bit his tongue and sucked on it so hard. He moaned in my mouth, going mad with desire. We were enjoying each other's taste, my body was on fire for this man.

"Voglio te, I want you so bad" I pushed off his jacket and undid his buttons.

He held my hands up and glared into my eyes. "Don't ruin this for me, Veronica. Mira would never take the lead, she let me be in charge." He pushed away my hands and walked to the door. He held the frame open: "Leave"

"We can start over-"

"Leave, please" He avoided my gaze, his eyes were red with bottled-up tears. I walked past him and into the hallway, and he gently closed the door behind me.

I just stood there.

Nothing I do will ever be good enough for him. I will never be her, and I'm not trying to be. She was a boring character, 'Never take the lead' my foot.

***
Gio's adorable voice rang from downstairs. He is back from school!!

I ran downstairs to meet him, but my feet stopped mid-track when I saw two old folks with him. A man and a woman in their sixties and fifties respectively. Gio seemed to know them well because he was happy and they were all smiles.

The woman was the first to see me, and she froze. The man followed her gaze and caught sight of me as well. He hung back and his eyes grew wide open. "M-Mira?"

I quickly got into character on realizing who they thought I was. Remember your training, Veronica. "Oh, Mamma and Papà! I'm so glad you are here" I hurried to the two of them and hugged them.

The woman held my chin lovingly. "oh mia cara bambina" She hugged me warmly. "I thought-" She looked at me again. "I thought they said-"

"Madre e Padre," Patrizio called out from the banister. He joined us: "You didn't tell me you were coming" He kissed the woman's face and embraced her. Then kissed the man on his cheeks.

The woman observed me again. "Patrizio caro, cosa sta succedendo?"

Patrizio turned his attention to me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed me passionately in front of his parents. The kiss lasted for more than one minute, I felt shy like a bride on her wedding day. He ended the kiss and we shared a moment. His eyes twinkled in the light, gazing at me with such affection. "My sweet angel," He cooed.

"Uh?" My words failed me. The way he called me his angel sent a spark down my body. But I regained my composure: "Yes, Bambi-"

That was when I noticed the amusement playing around his eyes. He knew exactly what he was doing to me. Sly bastard.

He continued: "Take Gio upstairs, per favore"

"Va bene" I led Gio to his room to help him freshen up. He insisted on playing chess with me, I am still amazed at how good at it he is. I indulge him nonetheless and he beat me as usual.

"I win again, mamma!" He jumped up and down.

"I will get you next time" I laughed, but deep down, I was brawling.

"Mamma," He returned to his seat.

"Sì?"

"Why did nonna and nonno look at you like you are a ghost?"

"Uh, no, no. They just, it has been so long since they saw me, that's why"

"Okay"

"Uh, let's go play outside"

His expression turned sour. "Papà says I can't play outside,"

"Well, I am your Mamma, and I say we can play outside" I beamed.

"Yay!!" He hugged me and then dragged my hand, leading me outside. We played hide and seek since there are so many places to hide. Then, Gio insisted on playing chase. I ran after him while his little legs tried to get away. I let him win of course.

We continued our fun games, running around the yard. I have not had this much fun in a long time. We laughed whenever I caught him, and he continued running.

Out of the blue, Gio fell to the ground, and I panicked.

"Patrizio!!" I screamed like a madwoman and ran to the unconscious little boy. He was burning up, and his chest heaved up and down.

Patrizio ran outside, followed by his parents, Leo, and some other men. "Why did you bring him out?! Leo, call Dr. Martinez"
He carried the boy to a black Mercedes and placed him in the backseat. I sat beside Gio and began caressing his forehead, but Patrizio removed my hand. "Get out! You can't even do one simple task of being a mother, you knew about his heart condition but chose to let him exhaust himself!"

What? Heart condition?

I got down from the car and they drove off immediately. I stood there dumbfounded, my heart bled for little Gio.

I'm so sorry...