°•° 33 °•°

I waited impatiently for my phone to chime, licking my lips periodically. I hated that habit but I couldn't stop myself.

To try and distract myself, I watched and listened as Miranda and Kaybree played Pictionary on a little sketchpad Rico had brought from his apartment. Kaybree was a fairly decent artist and I was happy to see her enjoying something like she used to.

"So does it feel weird to be a whole year older?" Miranda asked teasingly in between rounds, bumping Kaybree's shoulder with her own.

Kaybree smiled slightly. "Yeah, actually. It does. It kinda feels like a new start... Like this whole year can be put behind me and I can be better than last year."

All playfulness fell from Miranda's gaze as she nodded. "That's a great way to look at it."

Kaybree nodded along with her. "Yeah. I want things to be different now that I'm nineteen." She looked up, meeting my eyes. "I want to be honest and healthy and just... better."

I grinned, feeling more hope than I'd felt in a long time. I couldn't help but think, Thank you, God.

I jumped when my phone chimed in my hand. My heart fluttered and my smile only grew upon reading the message from Sav. I'm back.

Abruptly, I stood and shoved my phone into my pocket. As I grabbed my coat and slipped it on, Kaybree looked up at me curiously. "Where are you going?"

"Don't worry. I'll be back," I said, not directly answering her question. She glanced up at me suspiciously though she didn't press it.

I gave Miranda a look, making her nod knowingly. "I'll look after her," she reassured me.

With a salute, I slipped out of the waiting room and down the hall to the door that went out into the parking lot.

Sav was getting out of my Mercedes as I stepped out into the cold. I waited for her to walk forward, leaning against one of the concrete pillars holding up the car port where emergency vehicles dropped off patients.

"Thanks for not crashing it," I joked when she was within earshot.

She stuck her tongue out at me as she tossed me the keys. "You should be happy that I even went for you."

I chuckled, pulling her into a hug. "Yes, I'm thankful. Thank you."

"You're welcome," she muttered as she reciprocated the embrace. We stood there for a second longer than necessary before she pulled away. "They said that this is just a placeholder until you can both go to the courthouse and sign all the official paperwork and meet with your lawyers and stuff."

"Okay. That's fine. It'll work for now."

Reaching into her bag, she pulled out the manila envelope and held it out for me. I went to take it but she didn't let go just yet. "Are you completely sure about this?"

I stared down into her honest brown eyes and gave a sure nod. "Yes. Knowing that she has this to look forward to in her future will give her incentive to keep trying. It'll make things better. I know it will."

"Okay." Sav let go of the envelope with a nod. "Then let's do this."

We exchanged smiles and she started to walk past me toward the entrance. Without thinking about it, I stopped her, slipping my arm around her waist and pecking a kiss on her hair.

She laughed. "What was that for?"

"Because I can."

"Is that going to be your answer every time you do something cute?"