55

• AMALIA •

I want my dad.

     I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad, I want my dad.

     I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in, however now my hands are free from the zip ties, which is a relief in itself.

Still, I hope my dad finds me soon.

• XANDER •

"We got you some food." Sadie says, setting a tray beside me on the bed. I glance at the food, but after a second it makes me nauseous, so I look away.

"No thanks."

"Come on, kid, you need to eat something." Emilio says.

"I'm not hungry." I say. I wait eagerly from a message from my father, telling me he's found Amalia and she's safe and okay at home.

It doesn't come. And that's all my fault.

I throw my phone beside me and sigh, my head beginning to ache. My eyes water, but I blink the unwanted tears away.

Amalia deserves better than me as a brother.

• GRAYSON •

"Come on, baby." My grandma whispers as she slowly directs me toward my bed. "You need some sleep."

     "I'm—fine." I say, yawning.

     "Shh, come on." She replies, unfurling my covers before directing me to sit on the bed.

     "No. I gotta be awake in case dad finds Amalia. I.. I can go get her then."

     She looks at me like you would a newborn puppy. "There are more than enough people helping your dad, Grayson." She says.

"But she's my baby sister." I say quietly. "I'm supposed to protect her." My voice cracks as my eyes begin to water. A tear falls down my cheek, but I wipe it away quickly.

     Unfortunately, my grandma still sees it.

     "Aw, honey, come here." She says quietly. She wraps me up in a hug, and I welcome the embrace, leaning my head on her shoulder. She begins to rub my back. "It'll be okay. We'll find her."

      I really fucking hope so. She can't be taken away now, not when she's only just gotten back.

• MASON •

Petal rolls on her back, and I rub her tummy idly as I lay on the couch, keeping my eyes glued to the TV.

After a moment she rolls back up and waddles onto my chest, sitting herself down. She leans forward and licks my nose, titling her head as she lifts a paw up. She tilts to the side a little, so I rub her stomach again. She lays down on her side, her head right by my chin.

I wrap an arm around her and kiss her little head.

I promised Amalia I'd do my best to take care of her, so that's what I'm gonna do.