Chapter 13: Spills and Saves

Suman glances at her son. He had expressed to her that he would like to have all the preparations to be to Meera's liking; anything she wants, he'll give her. He just wants his future bride to be comfortable and happy. Meera is helping her mother set the dining table as Anushka is putting Jai to bed after feeding him. They didn't want Jai to get upset seeing everyone.

"Rohan and Priya have gone to Hawaii, you know, for their honeymoon. So that's why they aren't here," Reema can't seem to stop talking about her son and everything he's doing for his wife. She also won't stop glancing at Meera, making sure she could hear. Neel tries to signal to his wife to stop, but looking at the unbothered looks of the Raos' he relaxes.

Reema could talk all she wants about what's happening in her son's life, but everyone knows he's been borrowing money from Raj. In fact, Shourya is the one who gave him money for Hawaii. Truly, Shourya just wants the two of them out of his sight, they were bugging him like pests.

Suman cuts in Reema's conversation when she sees the impatient expression on her son's face. "Rohini Bhabhi, mein kya soch rahi thi, kyun na Shourya aur Meera milke saab preparations dekh le, aapni pasand se?"

(I was thinking that why not let Shourya and Meera do the preparations to their likings together?)

"Ji, mein bhi yahi soch rahi thi. Is bahane baache ek dusere ko jaan bhi lenge."

(Yes, I was thinking that too, that way the kids can get to know each other.)

Meera hid behind her mother, avoiding Shourya's intense gaze, fiddling with her maa's pallu. She seems to have a habit of fiddling when she's nervous.

"I think that's a great idea," Raj says, "so it's decided, Shourya will come and pick Meera up the day after tomorrow!"

"And I'll make the appointments for them for the next couple of days, Rohini Bhabhi, let's make a list of everything that needs to be done." The two women move to the side to make the lists and finalise and make notes for bookings.

"Suraj, yeh bahar konse phool hai?" Neels asks as the men move outside, Riya and Aarav begin getting distracted by their phones, leaving Shourya, Reema and Meera in the living room and dining area.

(Suraj, what kind of flowers are these, outside?)

Reema puts on a smile as she stands up, cleans up the pleats on her saree and moves towards Meera. Shourya watches, not liking the smile on his chachi's face.

"Meera beta, let me taste some of this khadhi." (curry)

Meera nods her head as she grabs a bowl. Shourya gets up and moves a little bit closer. The extra sweet tone of Reema's voice not sitting well with him.

"Meera Bhabhi, ye suit aapka kitna payara hai!" Riya says.

(Meera bhabhi, this suit is so pretty!)

Reema grabs the sleeve of the kurta, running her fingers over the embroidery.

"Hmmmmm, itna bhi khaas nahi hai. Tumne dekha nahi, Priya ki silk ki saree? use zaada sundar nahi hai."

(Hmmmmm, it's not that special. Did you not see the silk saree Priya has? It's not as pretty as that.)

"Rehne do chachi, yeh suit to bohot payara hai, who saree toh iske saamne kuch bhi nahi hai."

(Leave it, chachi. This suit is really pretty. That saree is nothing compared to this.)

Reema looks over the suit, what's so special about it? Her eyes burned with jealousy.

Meera passes the bowl of khadhi to Reema, before turning away.

She begins to focus on arranging the plates and cutlery. I need a few more spoons, she thinks. She turns to her left to go into the kitchen and suddenly, someone grabs her arm and pulls her towards them, her head bangs against a hard chest, and the hand leaves her arms and wraps around her waist. Wha-?

She looks up at the owner of the hard chest, but he's looking behind her.

She turns to see Riya and Aarav standing up, eyes trained on the floor. She follows their eyes and sees a bowl upside down on the floor, the khadhi splattered everywhere, right next to where she was standing.

But Shourya isn't looking at the floor, he's looking at Reema.

She's looking at him.

Meera tries to wriggle out of his hold, realising they've gathered an audience. Shourya takes a few more steps away from the spilled khadhi before letting her go.

"Did it drop on you anywhere?" He asks, to which she shakes her head, looking down. Only then does he let her go, and moves to stand in front of her.

"Woh, mere haath se gir gayi," Reema says, feeling anxious under Shourya's scrutinising stare. Both he and she knew that wasn't true.

(Actually, it just slipped out of my hand.)

"Koi baat nahi Reema ji, Bhai saab chale khana tyaar ho gaya. Pehle aap log kha lein," Rohini gestures to the guests and Anushka cleans up the mess. Meera checks her favourite suit carefully worried it might have stained.

(That's okay Reema ji. Brother, the food is ready. You guys eat first.)

"Riya, check her suit, make sure there aren't any stains," Shourya tells his sister.

"Aare, toh aap log kab khana khaenge?" Raj says, "baacha party, apni apni plate uthao aur serve karo. Aur esa karo, tum log living room mein beth jao."

(Then when will you guys eat?)

(Kids, fix yourselves a plate and go eat in the living room.)

"Are, bhai saab. Meri baat toh suniy-,"

(But. Please listen to-)

Raj holds up a hand and shakes it.

"Aacha toh, Meera beta, Muskaan. Fix everyone a plate." Suraj says.

(Okay then, Meera and Muskaan, fix everyone a plate.)

Meera begins to fix everyone a plate, and then pass the plate to Muskaan to hand out.

"Didi, baas Shourya jiju reh gaye hain, meri plate Riya ke paas rahki hai, toh aap apne liye aur jiju ke liye plate tyaar kr lein," Muskaan giggles at her sister.

(Sister, only Shourya brother-in-law is left. My plate is with Riya. So you ready a plate for yourself and Shourya.)

Meera slowly nods, letting her hair cover her rosy cheeks, she can still feel his grip on her arm and waist, and it causes little butterflies to flutter in her tummy. Meera's the one who cooked the majority of the food today; the menu included khadhi, biriyani, puri, mix veg and shahi paneer, raita, and chapattis. And of course, for dessert, Rohini had made ghajar ka halwa.

Meera walks over to Shourya with his plate, biting her lip as she passes him the plate. This time she makes sure their hands aren't anywhere near close, her delicate heart won't be able to handle that much touching in one evening.

He smiles up at her as he begins to mix the raita with the biriyani. "Meera beta, where's your plate? Humari chinta maat karo, agar kuch chahiye hoga to hum khood se le lenge." Suman calls for her to sit next to her as she grabs a plate.

(Meera, my child. Where is your plate? Don't worry about us. If we want something, we'll get it.)

There was a seat next to me maa. Shouriya thinks.

NOTE: Meera is too cute!!