Chapter 60

Thursday 13th May, 1977

"So you just think of becoming a dog and you become one?"

Sirius shot me a glare. "Watch your tone, baby Potter." I gave him an unamused look and he continued. "Yes, that's basically all it is. It's sort of like moving your arm or leg; you just know how to do it."

I sighed, laying my head on Remus's lap. "Well, that's a bit boring, isn't it?"

The marauders and I were outside for lunch, and as no one else was in sight we'd decided to start the conversation on Animagus. Or rather, I had, and let me tell you, I can be very consistent when I want something. The marauders can back me up on that.

So there we were, discussing and dissecting everything about Animagus. So far they had refused to transform, claiming it was unsafe to do in such a public area, but I had my ways and was determined to see at least one of them in their Animagus form before lunch was over.

Sirius scoffed, staring at in disbelief. "Did you just call me boring?"

I shrugged. "Your words, not mine."

Sirius looked at James for help but he just sighed. Sirius turned back to me, eyes narrowed as he muttered something along the lines of "the audacity" before he barked my name, catching my attention that had wandered to counting all of Remus's scars.

"Fine, Y/n, you wanna see something cool, is that it?"

I sat up from Remus's lap, staring at Sirius's agitated figure with curved lips. "I mean sure, if you can show me anything cool, that is."

Sirius gave one last scoff before furtively looking around and taking a deep breath. I blinked and a dog was in his place. I shot up, a gasp leaving my mouth as I stared at the scruffy black dog that was Sirius Black. It was crazy, seeing a dog but knowing it was one of your friends.

I took a step forward, and that was all incentive Sirius needed to bound over to me and lunge. I tumbled over with Sirius the Dog on top of me, licking every inch of my face. I squawked and shrieked, flailing my limbs around as I tried to get him off me.

Remus whistled sharply, and it was only then that Sirius stopped his attack, happily bounding over to Remus and laying his head in his lap, making puppy dog eyes up at him. I scowled, scrambling upright as I wiped my face on my jumper. Or Remus's jumper I should say, since technically it was his, but he never wears it because its always being worn by one of his friends. I was the current holder of it, but I knew I wouldn't keep it much longer because I'd seen some of the envious glances James had shot at the jumper. It was only a matter of time before it went missing.

"Oh, there you are Y/n."

I turned around at the sound of Regulus's voice, finding him jogging to me with a small smile on his face. The smile disappeared when he noticed Remus, James, and Peter behind me, having not noticed their presence before he had called out to me.

It was obvious he regretted his actions, because now the marauders knew he was here, which only promised awkward conversation and a tense atmosphere. I noticed Regulus's eyes searching the group, no doubt looking for his brother, who was currently a dog. I noticed when his eyes landed on Sirius the Dog, though, because his eyebrows raised and for a split second he looked like a 6 year old in awe as he stared at the dog. Then he blinked and the expression disappeared, though I could still see it hiding under the surface, in his eyes which shone with excitement.

"Is that a dog?" he questioned, completely forgetting his apprehension with the marauders.

I grinned at his reaction. "Yeah, it is. It's a- er... a stray. Do you wanna say hi?"