Chapter 63

Friday 21st May, 1977

The marauders went upstairs after a while when Remus had started feeling sick, all four of them like a pack as they disappeared into their dorm. I was worried about Remus and wanted to check up on him, but I also didn't want to stir up suspicion on why he was sick, so I stayed there.

Currently the remainder of the party were in a huge debate on what potion was better: Veritaserum or Liquid Luck. Regulus was passionately on Veritaserum, but I knew that was only because he had severe trust issues because of his past. Dorcas was firmly on Liquid Luck, and the two of them alone were heating up the debate a significant amount.

Noting that Regulus seemed distracted, I decided to take a risk and left the party to go upstairs, knocking quietly before entering. Sirius was in his Animagus form and was curled up on Remus's bed as Remus breathed heavily, looking rather pale.

"Is he okay?" I asked, frozen in the doorway as I looked at Remus. He looked much worse than I had initially thought he was.

James nodded, sending me a tight smile. "Yeah, he's alright. This happens sometimes after the full moon. Some of the moon's effects stay with him, and he gets really bad waves of nausea or strong aches. It should wear off by morning though, so there's no need to worry."

I nodded even though I was very much worrying, taking a step inside the dorm. Sirius uncurled form his spot on Remus's bed and trotted up to me, letting out a whine before transforming into his human form.

"I think you should go downstairs-" Sirius started, but was suddenly interrupted.

"What the fuck?"

All five of us, Remus included, turned to the doorway where Regulus stood, mouth agape as he stared at Sirius. Something akin to horror was on his face, though there was a glimmer of awe in there as well, one he would never admit to.

"Regulus, hey," I said, my voice several pitches higher than usual. "What are you doing here? You know what it doesn't really matter, I think we should go I'm actually really tired."

"You're an Animagus," Regulus said, completely ignoring me. "And if you're an Animagus, I have no doubt that your friends are which means..."

Regulus trailed off, his gaze falling on a pale Remus sitting rigidly in his bed, staring at Regulus with fear in his eyes.

"You're the werewolf," Regulus breathed as he stared at Remus.

James moved forward, stepping protectively in front of Remus as he glowered at Regulus, opening his mouth to defend his friend when Regulus held out a hand to stop him.

"I don't care that he's a werewolf," he said. "It makes no difference to me and how I see him."

James looked surprised, before grudging respect replaced it as he stared at Regulus. Regulus only had eyes for Sirius though, no doubt having recognised the dog as Snuffles. Remus cleared his throat and got out of bed, leaning on Peter as he stared at the two brothers.

"I think we should give them some privacy," he said, walking towards the exit.

Sirius's panicked voice followed him. "Are you sure you don't want to stay here Moony?"

"I'm sure," Remus said with a smile, gesturing for James and I to follow him and Peter out, which we did, closing the door behind us. We all sat in the Common Room anxiously, waiting to find out what happened between them. The party had ended, so the Common Room was deserted except for us, which I was grateful for because I was in full panic mode, pacing back and forth.

What if their conversation didn't go well? What if one of them felt threatened and threw an insult to protect themselves when the other was vulnerable, shattering whatever small trust they'd managed to make? What if leaving them alone was a horrible idea and they end up hating each other for the rest of eternity?