Chapter 16

Tegan walked out of the restroom with shaking hands.

'So?' Steve asked now looking as nervous as her.

She nodded her head slightly and Steve walked out of the dingy restaurant without another look back at her. She felt the tears welling up in her eyes when he came barging back into the restaurant.

'We'll discuss this later.' He said giving her a kissed on the cheek and walking out again.

*

'What took so long, Rogers?' Natasha asked when Steve clambered into the regular eating spot.

'Nothing.' He said not looking up.

He never wanted to be a father and now he would be. The rest of the Avengers gave him skeptical looks before turning back to their meals.

'Surprised you haven't made a comment on Stark being here.' Thor said smirking.

Steve looked up and saw Tony sitting across the table from him sipping his drink.

'Stark.' He said with a nod that Tony stiffly returned.

Steve's head was elsewhere but he couldn't help but notice the tension at the table. Bruce and Clint were shifting uncomfortably every time Pietro brought up his dates with Bri and Tony was giving Pietro looks that could have killed.

'This is nice.' Natasha said sarcastically sipping her drink.

When Pietro brought up Bri's heartbreak from Tony the tension only grew into anger. Tony got up so fast that his chair fell.

'Tony-' Bruce began.

Tony picked up his chair and set it right before grabbing his jacket and leaving the restaurant. They all sat in silence until the waitress walked over to them.

'Mr Stark came in earlier and said to cover everyone's cost except a Mr Pietro Maximoff's.'

Everyone looked awkwardly to Pietro as he handed the woman her pay and marched out of the restaurant just as Tony had.

*

'Steve?' Tegan asked when she heard the front door open.

She got up when there was no reply and walked to the door. It was still slightly open so she shut it and looked around.

'Bri?' She said getting slightly nervous.

There was a noise behind her and she jumped.

'A little jumpy are we?' A voice said.

She turned around and saw the person Steve had always warned her about; Loki.

'Darling, no need to be scared.' Loki said smiling sickly.

'W-what do you need?' She asked backing away.

'Well, you really need to throw away your things better.' He said approaching her.

*

'Rogers, Loki's been sighted near your end of town.' Fury said into the earpiece that lead to all the Avengers.

Steve got up from the table and ran out of the restaurant. The only thing on his mind was Tegan. He hopped onto his bike and sped to his house. The rest of the Avengers were either on their way or already there when Steve approached the door.

'Was Tegan home?' Tony asked landing next to Steve in his Iron Man suit.

Steve nodded and swallowed the lump in his throat before he opened the door. The house was empty. No note. No sign that Tegan or Loki had been there.

'We'll check upstairs.' Natasha said as she Clint and Wanda walked into the house.

Steve walked deeper into the house and looked around.

'Cap, Bri wasn't here by any chance was she?' Tony asked once Pietro was out of earshot.

'N-no, I don't think so.' Steve replied.

*

'So young and helpless.' Loki sneered as Tegan sobbed on the floor.

'Please just stop!' She said through the cries.

'I'm just going to take your youth and energy and then you'll be off. Keep quiet about it and we won't have a problem.' He said before staring into her tear stained eyes.

She stared back at him and felt herself growing sleepier and sleepier. The last thing that passed through her mind before she passed out was Steve.