Retribution- XXI

Very much like his nephew, Mark didn't smile. But perhaps it was because I was forcefully robotic with him, warily restraining my body and mind. Those eyes above me bared a heightened awareness that was no doubt learned through all his years of swaying jurors and attacking the prosecuting team. He was a man who could read another person easily. But that was a game I knew all too well, and I wondered if that was why his eyes narrowed ever so slightly in suspicion. Undoubtedly he saw the rawness in my eyes moments before. But before him now stood a nobody, suddenly baring nothing.

He offered his arm and led me away from the waiting area and through the main office doors. I expected to find myself in the office that overlooked the waiting area, but instead we approached a pair of golden elevators and were whisked off to the 20th floor.

I kept quiet the whole time, refusing to look around and mindful of my own disinterest. Breathe, breathe, my inner sanity tried to clamor down any more outbursts. I refused to look around at the people we passed; scared that in their faces I'd see the echoes of those from my past.

I followed Mark Donovan to a large office that overlooked most the city. Hayden stood by the windows, watching all those people move beneath.

"Are you satisfied," he asked without looking at his uncle.

"Very," Mr. Donovan said as he offered me a seat with a raised hand.  I sat unsure, watching Mr. Donovan seat himself in the large chair before me. Hayden turned away from the window and met my eyes. After a moment of silence, he finally, purposely said each word slowly, "Alys, may I introduce my uncle, Mark Donovan."

I nodded my head while holding Hayden's gaze. He scanned my face and body in one quick moment before he finally leaned away from the window and came towards me. He casually sat down in another chair, but one, I noted, that put him between his uncle and I.

Nervously I squeezed my hands together, finally sparing a glance towards Mr. Donavan. He was watching me silently. He seemed to be trying to solve some type of puzzle; a look I had seen on Hayden many times.

"Is she your girlfriend?" He finally asked. My heart leapt in my throat, and an unflattering blush seeped across my skin.

"No," said Hayden slowly. He was watching his uncle with that same probing gaze.  It stayed silent like that for another moment before Mr. Donovan finally sighed and looked back towards his nephew.

"Then carry on." he leaned back and watched Hayden down his nose. At first those words seemed to irritate Hayden. But as quickly as it came it went. Hayden rose from his chair and pulled out the pen from his pocket.

"I want to know these." he murmured, probably aware of my curious gaze that tracked him at the moment. His hand lowered down towards the paper, and he began circling something upon in.

His uncle relented from his comfortable position and moved in close towards Hayden as he tracked the pen's movements along. It seemed that slightly bit of agitation I had seen on Hayden had moved to his uncle. Whatever Hayden was showing him, he wasn't too pleased to participate with.

I waited for either of them to acknowledge me, but it never came. Minutes pressed on before I realized they had no intention of recognizing me. Which only meant one thing.

I wasn't needed here...

My embarrassment suddenly grew. I watched them talk in legal terms and words I didn't actively understand, realizing I was only brought up since I could not be trusted to be alone. It seemed right on cue, Hayden's hard silver gaze swept back and looked at me and I got the dreadful sense he was mad at me.