Chapter 18

XVIII.

Seijuro.

My reaction?

You are curious as to what my reaction would be?

"Seijuro," Father called once we finished eating dinner. My eyes wandered to the eyes of my father, who was staring at me with an impassive expression. "How is your relationship going on with Yurika-san?"

"We're doing fine, Father," I informed him with a formal tone, my eyes never leaving his.

He blessed our relationship. Why? Because Yurika is an heiress.

She once told me that her father hates my father because they were also rivals back in high school, like us. Sendo-san never once won against my father, both in sports and academics.

A man of the Akashi family must excel in all fields.

Now, Father doesn't feel like competing with him. Not anymore for he is aware of his superiority. He wanted Yurika and I to be the bridge that connects the two families. To start a new relationship.

Imagine me, staring at my phone blankly, after hearing her voice mail...

I called her back at least 16 times but none of those were answered.

Junnichi Sendo.

He's up to something.

Do you really think I'll permit you to do as you please? Don't mess with me, I am absolute.

Think again.

She vowed to belong to me. I have carved and claimed her heart. She's mine.

I remembered my beloved mother.

Why, of all times, I get to remember her now.

16 missed calls? I guess I have done enough, I'm going to her place. Now.

But what I saw, just a few blocks away from her home, were a pool of crowd, a restricted lane and a trail of blood on the cemented road. The scene probably happened not too long ago. The blood's still fresh and the police were now starting to investigate.

My eyes darted to the dark road and I bent down as I found a familiar object on the floor.

A silver ring.

I unconsciously lifted my right hand and looked at the ring on my ring finger. I put the two rings together and an unknown feeling washed over me.

This is what I was afraid of.

I vowed to never feel attachment nor love after the loss of my mother.

Because the pain was too unbearable.

That's why... I tried to push her away.

The rings were identical.

The feeling that's too burden for me, I buried them long ago to the deepest core of my heart.

And now, they were alive once again, to haunt me.

The familiar heavy feeling in my chest.

I looked at the sky and the biggest star was twinkling, demanding my attention.

Yurika... could it be...

And now, I know why...

Why I remembered my mother that time...

It's the same intensifying pain I'd felt when I lost her...

And now...

I'm going to lose her too.