chapter fifteen

15 x dive on in

>>

Flying was fantastic. It was easily my most favorite thing in life - the sensation of going from falling (where your heart's in your throat, and the adrenaline is pouring into your system, and it's just so exhilarating) to suddenly shooting up in the air, kind of like a roller coaster, but with more freedom . . . it's astounding. That's the best word I can come up with.

If I could spend my whole life in flight, I probably would.

Instead of doing my usual lazy trick and random bursts of falling and shooting up, I was focused on speed. I had a direction (mostly the teeny-tiny red spot that was Thor's cape) and I was putting all of my power into the speed of getting there.

I hadn't flown this fast in forever, and honestly, it felt great.

Plus, I bypassed Sam pretty quickly, and could hear his dying shout of "Come on, now!" as I did so, my own laughter lost to the wind before it could hit my ears. Vision, however, was nowhere to be seen (at least, not by me) but I didn't let that bother me. My goal was following Thor.

I don't know how long it took me to get there. If I did have some way of knowing, I really wouldn't have cared. All I knew was that I landed a yard away from Thor, causing a slight dent in the ground from the fact that I was indestructible, and I definitely didn't slow down as much as I should have.

"You beat Vision?" he asked, looking at me with what I was pretty sure was some newfound respect.

I shrugged, my cheeks still hurting me from all the smiling I had done during my flight. "Guess so," I said, shoving my bangs out of my face. "That building it?"

"I should assume so," Thor agreed. "It looks correct."

That's when I heard Stark's voice in my ear. "Yeah, you're both in the right place," he informed us. I hadn't been able to hear if they were having any conversations while I was flying - I was going that fast.

"Then I suppose we should head on in," Thor grinned at me. His hammer was huge (it also looked really, really cool), and he waved it at the building, arching a brow at me. "Shall I clear a path, or would you like to?"

"Oh, I'm real interested in seeing how you'll do it," I admitted, planting my hands on my hips and canting my head as I watched him.

Thor smiled jovially and reared back, before positively launching the hammer at the wall. I watched as it smashed straight through the wall, creating a decent sized hole, before Thor held up his hand and it came whizzing back to him.

At the end of the ordeal there were security alarms going off, he was holding his hammer again, and I was staring at him with wide eyes. "Well mark me down as impressed," I said. "Remind me to never get on the wrong side of your swing."

"I doubt that will be a problem," he said as we headed into the building.

The alarms were louder in there, plus there was this lovely addition of flashing lights, but I managed to tune it out relatively quickly. "Which way to the crazies, Tony?" I asked as Thor took out several armed men who rushed at us.

"Well, if end game is Layne Killian-"

"You know it is, Stark," Steve sighed over the earpiece.

"'Scuse me, Captain, I am talking."

Thor and I exchanged a very unimpressed look, choosing a direction down the hallway to go without further arguing with the rest of the team. As we were walking, Vision phased through the ceiling, and fell into step beside us.