family

family: Y/n's parents died in a car accident and with no other family she's left with her triplet brothers to care for. After a tiring morning, she snaps and JJ steps in to save the day.
———

The sun wasn't even awake yet as I stood in the kitchen smearing peanut butter and jelly on three separate sandwiches frantically.

"I have soccer practice after school, you better not be late picking me up!" Marcus yelled as I hurriedly tried making their lunches.

"My science project isn't done and it's due today!" Mason tugged at my arm to try and get my eyes to divert to look at his project. In a quick glance I saw it involved a bunch of hot glue, popsicle sticks, and some weird contraption with an egg in the middle.

"What am I supposed to do!?" I asked Mason, he rolled his eyes and shoved the strange science project into his backpack.

"Don't put that in your—" I tried yelling at him not to put a raw egg into his backpack but was soon cut short.

"Can you sign my permission slip!?" Matthew shoved a piece of paper in front of my face and I used my elbow to shove his arm away.

"I have peanut butter all over my hands, no!" I denied, slapping the sandwiches together, they were messy but they'll work, "Marcus, I'll be there at five to pick you up!" I yelled to the triplet, reminding him I hadn't forgotten about practice as I slipped each sandwich into their own zip lock bag.

I felt overwhelmed. Being left with my triplet brothers at nineteen after our parents died in a car accident was not how my life was supposed to go. They should be here sending them off to school. I should be getting ready for work, not tending to mother duties. I heard the front door of the house open and close, making the boys jump for joy when JJ entered the kitchen.

"Goodmor—what the hell happened in here?" He asked with a chuckle as the three eleven year old boys ran over to tackle him in a hug. I looked around the kitchen, tears brimming my eyes as I saw the mess. Dishes stacked next to the sink, peanut butter and jelly all over the counter top, a raw egg seeping through the bottom of Masons backpack. Marcus was sniffling like crazy from a cold I couldn't help him kick and Matthew...well, he's Matthew, the loudest of the bunch.

"They're late for school." I replied, trying my best not to break down in front of my brothers, "And I—" I let the butter knife slip from my hand as it hit the counter top with a clink, "I haven't been able to clean the house, this is my third day I'm missing work, I need to sign Matthews permission slip, Mason has a raw egg in his bag, Marcus is sick—" I looked at the boys in a complete loss for words.

"Alright, everyone look at me!" JJ called out, causing the boys to listen and stand in line in front of him. I don't know how he did it, but he could always get the boys under control. Me on the other hand, I couldn't even get them ready for school, "Matthew, where's your permission slip?" He asked, causing the boy to grab it from his back pocket and hand it to him.

JJ came over, grabbed a pen from the kitchen table and perfectly forged my signature onto the slip. He handed the paper back to Matthew who had an ear to ear smile on his face, "Thanks, JJ!"

"Mason, dude, raw egg in the backpack? Come on now." JJ held his hand out and Mason handed him his bag. My boyfriend took out all his text books and quickly wet a rag to wipe them down. After that he threw the horrendous science project onto the table and grabbed a brown paper bag from the cupboard, "Makeshift backpack for the day, tell your teacher you promise you'll project will be done tomorrow. I'll help you tonight."

"You're the best, JJ!" Mason wrapped his arms around the shaggy haired blonde before turning and stepping back.

"Marcus," JJ pointed to him and then gestured for him to follow, which he did no questions asked. "Take this." He handed him some cold medicine from the cabinet and a water bottle, my brother complied and took the medicine, "You have soccer practice until five today, right?"