31

"SO HOW OLD are you?" Rebekah asked Emery as she sat on one of the tables while the vampire took a seat on the bar table.

"Eighteen," she replied, glancing at Gloria who was trying to find the necklace.

"Which makes you legal," the blonde muttered, teasingly looking at Klaus who rolled his eyes at the insinuation. He darted his eyes at the witch who avoided looking at him as she came up with nothing in regards to what Rebekah said. "So what does he have on you that's making you keep his sorry self company?"

"A deal," Emery replied, "he saved my friend in exchange for me to tag along so here I am."

Klaus breathed out a chuckle, "come on now, love, we both know you're not here only because of the deal."

Rebekah smirked at what he said, looking at Emery who cleared her throat, trying to think of something to say when Stefan walked in.

"You left us," Rebekah said, earning a sigh from him, "yeah, sorry— retail therapy was making my head explode."

"Tell me about it," Klaus mumbled as Stefan looked at Gloria, "what's she doing?"

"She's failing."

"It's hard to find something when you don't have anything to go on," Gloria answered which made Emery glance at Rebekah, "why don't you use her? She's been wearing it for quite some time."

"Only for a thousand years," Rebekah added making Gloria nod, "see? Now this one offers a solution."

The blonde vampire walked over to the table and sat on it. "All right, give me your hand, sweetheart," at Gloria's words, she extended her hand and the witch grabbed it.

"She's—" Stefan paused, "uh, she's looking for the necklace, huh?

"I can sense something," Gloria spoke up. The others just watched for a little longer before she finally dropped Rebekah's hand and turned to look at them, "I found it."

"So where is it?"

Gloria clicked her tongue, shaking her head at Rebekah, "it doesn't work like that, doll. I get images. There's a girl with her friends—"

"Yes, a dead girl with dead friends, if I don't get my necklace back."

Emery held in her breath as she listened to the conversation. She tried not to let her heartbeat pick up or anything, knowing full well that she was talking about Elena. The witch glanced at Stefan who subtly shook his head at her.

"Well..." Gloria sighed, "I'll have to dive back in to get the details."

"So dive," Klaus spoke up, growing annoyed and impatient.

"I need more time." At Gloria's words, he let out a huff as he walked over and leaned on the table where she was seated at. "— And space," she tried to keep herself from stuttering, "you're harshing my ju-ju."

"We can wait."

She rolled her eyes at the hybrid's words, "I'm sure you can. But that's not what I asked."

"Hey, Emery—" Rebekah looked at the girl, "you're a witch, yes?" When she nodded, the blonde continued, "why don't you help this one here?"

"No," Klaus and Stefan refused at the same time which made Rebekah raise her brows in confusion. "Why no?"

"She gets..." Klaus trailed off, trying to figure out how to put his words together, "weak when she uses her magic for some reason." He turned to look at Gloria, "maybe you can figure out why this is happening to her while you're at it. Find something to, I don't know, help her, perhaps."

Gloria only hummed at him words, her eyes darting to Emery who was biting her lower lip in silence.

"Oh," Rebekah mumbled, giving ger an apologetic look, "sorry I asked."

"Hey, you know, why don't we just come back later?" Stefan jumped in, desperate to get their attention off Enery as he knew she wanted that. "I'm hungry anyway."

Klaus was reluctant to leave but Stefan attempted to be convincing, "I'll let you pick who we eat." He then began to walk towards the door and stopped there, waiting for them.

"Come on, Em—" Klaus was cut off by Gloria who shook her head, looking at him, "— no, let her stay here. I'll see if I can help her with her problem."

Klaus furrowed his brows at the old witch then his eyes darted to Emery who gave him a small nod in response. He slowly exhaled before leaving along with Stefan and Rebekah.

"So..." Gloria turned to the witch, "I've been looking into this curse of yours."

Emery's ears perked up at that. She raised her brows, "really?"

"Hmm," the older witch offered her a nod, giving her her full attention. "Did you know that your great grandmother have actually managed to live until the age of fifty eight?"

"Yes," she muttered, having heard from her mother that she was the only one who's managed to live that long in her family. "I have been told that she's never used her magic like ever."

Gloria chuckled with a scoff, "see now that's what people call bullshit."

The brunette let out an involuntary chuckle at the word that left her mouth. "Why do you say that?" She questioned, "is it not true?"

"Hardly," Gloria smiled, patting the space next to her, "come sit here. I have quite a lot to tell you about your family, Emery."

Reluctantly, she walked over and sat down beside the older woman. Gloria flashed her a smile, "your great grandmother, Emilie didn't not use her magic. Did you really believe that? She's one of the most powerful witches I've ever known."

"Then how did she..." Emery trailed off, furrowing her brows in confusion and curiosity.

"I helped her," Gloria replied with a small shrug, "I mean, I offered her a solution but it did not last. However, I have a feeling that for you, it will."

•──────────────•

Its been a while but things are about to get more interesting. Ty for being patient with me and I'm glad that some of u r enjoying this book :)