Muichiro x Reader

Thanks @Greg_thesnail185 for the request!
—————————————————————————

The situation itself wasn't funny when we went to the hashira meeting before the trial.  A demon being allowed to live by demonslayers was a serious and controversial question that was surely going to be debated seriously.  It didn't help that there was an actual demonslayer attached to the demon who supposedly refused to give up his sister.  Nothing should seem funny about it at all. 

But as Muichiro and I made our way to where the trial was to be held, I couldn't help but start laughing when Muichiro glanced at me with a roll of his eyes and a humored smile.  The boy we were supposed to be surveying as a traitor was tied up and seemed to be treated as a dangerous suspect.  It was a ridiculous thought to think that this boy was seen as the enemy.  The situation was serious of course but the circumstances were laugh worthy. 

Walking near the other hashira though, I did my best to hold back my humor even as Muichiro started poking my side with a knowing smile.  He always knew what I was feeling and right now he probably suspected my barely restrained laughs that were threatening to spill.  The other hashira would surely frown down upon such an act though and so I did my very best to contain even my smile. 

"Why are you going to laugh?  You find this funny?" Muichiro whispered with a fake look of concern on his face.  It only made me cover my mouth as a laugh nearly slipped past my lips.  My face was going to start twitching if I continued like this but by the look of mischief on Muichiro's face this wasn't going to be over anytime soon. 

"No sir, this is serious.  I wouldn't dare even consider jesting about this dangerous situation," I shakily exhaled, my smile dropping even though I could feel the edges tremble.  Muichiro raised his brow dramatically, his hand going to his chest in mock surprise. 

"The person who so much as chuckles has to give up their dessert to the other at dinner," Muichiro smirked.  I perked up at the challenge, giving him my own smirk as we shook hands to seal the bet.  I'd easily lock up all my giggles in order to keep my food for myself.  He wasn't going to see a crumb of my dessert when we're through. 

"You got yourself a deal but who would be so heartless enough to laugh during a trial," I stated with fake offense.  I saw Muichiro's lips twitch but he held steady as he straightened his expression before giving me a serious glare.  Well, it appeared serious to anyone who didn't properly know him.  By the shimmer in his eyes, he was clearly joking. 

We started to poke each other with fake concern over the welfare of the boy and cracked whatever jokes we could.  We didn't even notice when Sanemi started causing his own trouble, only caught up with ourselves as we held back our laughter with all of our strength.  It took every ounce of our attention to make sure we didn't lose the bet. 

It wasn't until our master stepped forward that we noticed that other things were occurring as we quickly knelt.  My laughter only felt like bubbling up more when I felt Muichiro glance at me with his own barely restrained grin.  Our master was speaking about a serious subject and yet I couldn't focus on anything other than Muichiro poking me to try to get me to laugh. 

I nearly lost it when Sanemi shoved the boy's head claiming he was being disrespectful.  Everything that wasn't supposed to be funny was suddenly ten times more amusing as my chest started to hurt with the buried laughter.  I couldn't even focus on the trial as some bickering seemed to be occurring between Sanemi and the boy. 

Muichiro sat up suddenly, a pebble in his hand.  I sent him a curious glance before he winked at me, throwing the rock at the boy's head.  I had to cover my mouth to keep my laughter from breaking the shocked silence afterwards.  I even started heaving, nearly hysteric at the boy's shocked expression when he turned our way. 

I didn't hear whatever excuse Muichiro made for his actions considering I was too busy clutching my stomach to keep myself quiet.  The other hashiras seemed to agree with whatever he had said as they continued their trial with me close to bursting out in tears.  Muichiro didn't seem to be much better when he caught a glance at my expression. 

More minutes passed of painful silence before an agreement was met for everyone.  When the choice was given to us to decide the fate of the demon and boy, I didn't mind letting them live, only caring about finishing this as fast as possible.  And so once the verdict was reached and the other hashira left along with the boy and demon in her box escorted away, I immediately tackled Muichiro to the ground. 

We burst out laughing at once, our build up of humor overflowing as tears sprang into our eyes.  Muichiro didn't stop laughing even as I was left panting in exhaustion.  His soft giggle brought a bright smile to my face. 

"I guess we both lost.  How about we switch desserts at dinner then," I proposed with a tired smile.  Muichiro had stopped laughing, instead catching his breath with his face tinted pink.  He gave me a tired nod.  A second passed until we burst out laughing again, remembering the ridiculousness of our actions during the trial.  It would take much longer until the laughter stopped.