Chapter 25

"You're moving around too much," Soph groans, giving me a soft kick in the butt. "What's stressing you out? You usually drop dead the moment your head hits the pillow — And by the way, that's super scary, you know? Like a whole new level of creepy."

"I'm sorry," I turn around once again, facing her. "It's just... I'm thinking about Daniella."

"I suspected," she deadpans. "What about her? Do you think she's mad that you decided to stay?"

"I wouldn't say she's mad, I guess she just wasn't expecting me to refuse," I sigh. "And neither was I if I'm being honest."

"You did what felt right to you, and you shouldn't be feeling bad about that. And if she's not mad, then what are you worried about?"

"I'm not sure I made the right choice," I say, gripping my pillow. "In truth, I didn't even make a choice, I dodged the topic but she's not stupid... I don't want her to think that I don't want to live with her, I just don't want to force her into taking such a big step by accepting her cordiality."

"She was the one that invited you though," she raises her eyebrows, clearly not following my train of thought, and at this point neither am I.

"If Jenny came to you with nowhere to stay wouldn't you welcome her into your house without a second thought, even though you'd never take this step otherwise? It wasn't a decision built on the desire to start building a life together with your partner but rather on circumstances, and I feel like that's such a fragile foundation, Soph, we've only been dating for a couple of months," I sigh. "What if she regrets it later on?"

She looks at me with sleepy eyes. "I guess so," she mumbles. "But aren't you thinking too much into it?"

"I guess so..." I repeat her words.

But am I thinking too much?

Most likely, and I've hurt Daniela in the process too. Not only that but with everything that has been happening, I haven't really been giving her much attention lately. The shop, my dad, Denise, and now this mess, all of these have been consuming my mind for the past few days.

I look back at Soph, her partially closed eyes and open mouth indicates she's in her deepest sleep, and she says I'm the scary one. I snap a quick picture before quietly getting up from her bed.

The cold air hits my skin like knives, and maybe I shouldn't have come outside with only my thin pajamas but when my impulsiveness takes over, it's hard to think of anything else. I'm not entirely sure if it's a bad trait in me, not a good one either, even though my impulsiveness was in part what made Daniella and I happen. A chaotic good perhaps.

I let all these thoughts go as I park in front of her house. She's probably already asleep and I'd hate to wake her up a second time in one single night, so this might as well be the best occasion to use that key Lucia gave me, even though I never saw an usage for it since I would never come around uninvited... yet that's exactly what I'm doing right now. I think it through for a second before turning the key, trying to gain control over my impulsiveness but then again, she did give me the key to "come in whenever I liked", her words, not mine.

I shrug before turning the key and coming in, quietly making my way into Daniella's room through the darkness. Slippers lifts his head as I open the door, briefly looking at me before dropping it back down, immediately going back to sleep and I can see now how this can be viewed as creepy, falling asleep this quickly doesn't quite look normal but I digress.

I climb into her bed, trying not to move it too much but to no avail, she turns around, facing me with sleepy eyes. We silently stare at each other for a moment before she opens her arms welcoming me in her embrace.