Chapter Seven

The funeral was a very small and private gathering with only about twenty people or so in attendance.

The Hillside cemetery was on a meadow just off the highway specked with tomb stones and oak trees. 

I arrived with Tristan and Cage, and Stigger was already standing by Jenny’s side as she talked to other people. There had been no wake and this was the first time she had to deal with the crowd who came to pay their respects.

Tristan said the Stellars played it out as a car crash and since every one of the men were single, there were no worries about witnesses complicating the story. I’m not really sure how they made everyone buy the story but it seems to have worked as there hadn’t been too many questions asked.

It’s only us who know the real story that understand the true horror of these deaths.

Tristan took my hand as we walked towards Jenny who looked up and flashed us a pained smile.

We followed them to a spot away from the other visitors and Tristan and Stigger kept their distance.

Without saying anything, I wrapped her in a hug. 

I sniffled and pulled away to look at her. “How are you doing?”

She shrugged. “Better. My injuries are mostly gone. We heal quickly.”

“I’m so sorry about Jack and the others,” I told her as tears filled my eyes again. “I had no idea it was going to get that ugly.”

She pursed her lips, looking almost angry. “I knew they were up to something. I saw it in Jack’s eyes. He made sure I didn’t come with them. I wish he told me. I wish I was able to help...”

I squeezed her arm as her voice trailed off. “It’s probably better that you didn’t. Jack wouldn’t have wanted the same fate for you.”

Her composure crumbled. “I just wish... I just wish there was something I could’ve done to stop them. But they did what they felt was the right thing to do and I guess... I just have to accept that.”

I held her hand as she took a deep breath and calmed her tears down. 

I stayed by her side all throughout the memorial service and I admired her for holding herself together while I was a case of tears that just kept trickling quietly down my cheek.

Tristan was on my side, saying very little but holding my hand every now and then to remind me he was there.

As we stood around the graves, waiting as the caskets were being lowered to the bottom, I spied Devon standing several yards away under a tree, watching us.

He was in a dark suit and his hair was unusually unruly.

Jenny threw a long-stemmed white rose into the dirt first and the rest of us took our turns.

A hollow ache filled my heart as I realized that I will never see Jack smile or laugh again.

I’m so sorry, Jack, I said to him in my mind as I watched the dirt slowly cover the casket. I wish I’d given you the love you more than deserved.

We were standing around as Jenny saw off the visitors who had started leaving when Devon walked over to us.

Tristan stiffened but I slowly took a few steps forward to meet him.

“Ollie,” he said, his voice low and miserable. 

I smiled at him and stepped into his arms for a hug. “How are you doing, Devon?”

“Better now that you’re okay,” he said, smoothing my hair down my back. “I was afraid you’d never wake up.”

I looked up at him. “Nah. That would be too easy.”