Chapter 27:: You Like Me

I had a go at making my own banner: just because I was bored :) I used Pixlr, if you're wondering and I'm pretty proud of it! (Not sure where the bubbles came from but they look cute, so I'm going with it) Make sure to get your graphic competition entries in!

Miserable is a word that completely understates what I feel right now.

A day after my talk with Jesse about wanting space, and I'm realising just how much of a mistake I made. I miss him. I miss my alligator; he makes me smile, and stutter and completely embarrass myself talking about cats. He makes me overthink things to the extreme, and distracts me from everything else I should be thinking about. I miss my Jesse.

Everett has been keeping me as entertained as possible. We've been having endless games of Call of Duty in his bedroom, watching movies and arguing over pizza toppings. He's cheered me up, I admit, but I can't help but feel a little bit empty inside. Why did I tell Jesse that I need space? Being apart from him is more painful than wanting him, in some ways. Pizza therapy always helps, but I catch myself reading our old messages and looking at my call history. There was one time at 4am when he couldn't sleep. He rang me up in the middle of the night and we talked for a while, and it was so nice. We didn't really talk about much, because I was sleepy. He teased me about having a man voice when I'm tired, and we talked about our weird habits. He's afraid to stick his foot out of his bed covers at night, ever since he watched Paranormal Activity.

 It's times like those when I'm so sure that Jesse likes me. Clearly not, though.

As of this current moment, I'm wearing pyjamas with my legs tucked beneath me on the couch. In the background, the second Mulan movie is playing, but I can't pay attention. My gaze is constantly drifting to the window, and right at the edge, I can just about see the side of Jesse's house. I wonder what he's doing right now. Is he missing me? Are things between us going to be awkward now? I sigh, and dig my hand into the popcorn. Everett has gone out to get me a 'surprise', which is probably another bar of chocolate. Tammy is upstairs, reading her magazines I think. Mom is at the studio. She's been giving me worried looks since I came home yesterday, but I don't think she knows what to say to me. She must know that these are the signs of heartbreak.

My car pulls onto the driveway, and Everett climbs out. Then, the three other doors open too. Rita climbs from the passenger seat, with Heather, Billie and Sophie. My eyes widen. This is my surprise?

Heather spots me through the window and waves excitedly.

I find a smile, and slowly make my way over to the front door to welcome them in. My brother is the best. If anyone is going to get me through this low spot, it's going to be these guys. I open the door, and I'm immediately tackled by Sophie as she catapults into me. "Lois!" She cheers, "I feel like I haven't seen you in ages. Today is going to be so much fun." She leans back and grins at me, and I notice the fact that all of the girls are dressed in pyjamas as they pile through the door.

"You only saw her yesterday," Billie rolls her eyes. She's sporting a cute pair of batman pyjamas.

"Shut up," Sophie sticks her tongue out. She throws an arm over my shoulder, and Heather does the same on my other side. She looks at me sympathetically through her grin. The others must have told her what happened. Rita steps into the house, smiling at me, although slightly awkwardly. I take a deep breath. If I want to get over Jesse, I need to accept his relationship with Rita.