Chapter 33 - We'll figure this out.

Chapter 33 – We'll figure this out.

Lucy's POV

When I wake up the next morning, my mind is immediately flooded with thoughts of Kailen's phone call and what I should do about it.

All I know is that I'll do anything to keep my friends safe... and that it's all my fault they're in danger in the first place.

Sitting up in bed, I pull the covers around me tighter and glance at my clock and find that it's only seven in the morning. I can't go back to sleep again, though, it took me long enough to drift off last night. I think I eventually got to sleep at four in the morning, my mind too troubled by everything to stop spinning long enough for me to actually get some peace.

I have no idea what I should do today except go to school like I promised Beck I would.

"You alright, Shorty?" Beck asks from where he slept on the floor, making me jump a mile as I didn't realise he was awake. Glancing over, I find him watching me carefully and already know that he can tell something's not right.

Should I tell him? No. I've dragged him enough into this as it is, I don't want to worry him any more than I already have. If it wasn't for me then he'd most likely still be living his life like normal: no rogue problems, no drama, just... normal.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lie, reaching up to run a hand through my hair a few times in attempt to tame it.

"You sure?" he asks, not looking convinced.

"Yeah."

"What are you doing up so early?" he then asks.

"School, remember? We decided I'd be going back again. You can go back to sleep, though. I didn't mean to disturb you," I reply as I stand up, heading over to my wardrobe to pick out a pair of skinny jeans and a plain black T-shirt. Next, I grab my underwear, some socks and my deodorant before heading to the door. "I'm going to go take a shower, be back in a minute."

Once in the bathroom I close and lock the door, dropping my new clothes on the floor and peeling off my pyjamas before turning on the shower and climbing in. It doesn't take long and when I get out I quickly dry off and wrap the towel around my hair to stop it from dripping water everywhere. Quickly getting dressed, I head over to the sink and brush my teeth, looking at myself in the mirror briefly and noticing the tiredness in my eyes. I guess I'll be wearing some makeup today, then.

I head back into my room to find Beck still awake, apparently waiting for me to get back.

"There's something you're not telling me," he says, not making it a question.

"No there's not," I reply, trying to put as much confidence into my voice as I can.

"You're acting weird."

Rolling my eyes at his perceptiveness, I remove the towel from my head and drop it into my washing basket, deciding to just let my hair dry naturally.

"How am I acting weird?" I ask, walking over to my dressing table and adding some light makeup to my face to help me look a little more normal.

"I don't know... you just are. Why'd you wake up so early?" he then asks again.

"I had a nightmare," I say, deciding to stick as far to the truth as possible. I am in a living nightmare, after all.

"What was it about?" he asks curiously.

"Doesn't matter," I reply with a shrug. "I'm just stressed is all. It's been a weird few days, you know?" Glancing at him in the mirror I see the look of doubt on his face. "Seriously, Beck, I'm fine."