BIRTHDAY!!! (Self insert)

TODAY (March 6) IS MY BIRTHDAY!!! And as a birthday present for myself, I'm writing a self insert oneshot!! I was always kind of nervous about writing a self insert, but I figured since it's my birthday I might as well, plus a little self insert never hurt anyone! >:3 Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this because I certainly will!!

Michael (Me) POV
I woke up to the sound of my alarm, drowsily turning it off. Today felt slightly different than most days. Not in a bad way, but like something important was happening at this very moment. I checked the date on my phone. It was March 6. March 6... Is that an important date? Wait... It's my birthday! How could I forget? I guess I was too tired to remember before. I got out of bed, rushing over to my closet to pick what to wear for the day. Usually I would've planned my outfit the night before, but I guess I forgot about that as well...

My phone rang. Doe was calling, so I immediately picked it up. "Happy birthday Michael!! Are you free today? Can we meet up, I have something special planned for you!" He asked. "Thanks Doe, and yes, I'm free today! I might be a bit late, where do you want to meet up?" I asked in response. "Don't worry, I could just pick you up at your house. I'll be there in 10, I love you!" He answered. "See you soon, I love you too!" I replied, as we ended the call. I went back to finding an outfit for today.

Once I was ready, I heard a knock at my door. I sprinted out of my room, nearly tripping over, and opened the front door. Sure enough, Doe was standing on my doorstep, wearing a grey striped sweater with his hair in a ponytail. "Hey Michael, Happy Birthday! Are you ready for your surprise?" Doe asked. I eagerly nodded my head. "Of course! Where are we going?" I asked in the reply. "Well, it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you! Anyway, it's a bit far from your place, so we'll have to take the bus." Doe replied. He held my hand, and we walked to the bus stop together.

On the bus ride to wherever we were going, we sat next to each other. I was curious about where he was taking me, so I asked him about it again. "I know it's a surprise, but can you at least give me a hint to where we're going?" I requested. Doe shook his head. "I told you, if I tell you where we're going, it'll spoil the surprise! And we're almost there, just a little farther." He replied. Soon enough, the bus stopped, and Doe and I got off. Doe pointed towards an arcade across the street. "There's the first part of your surprise, Michael!" He said. I was bursting with excitement. I didn't even know there was an arcade in Uncanny Valley! I grabbed Doe's hand, crossing the street and entering the arcade.

John Doe POV
Michael looked overjoyed as his eyes wandered around the arcade, observing the many game cabinets and toys at the prize counter. I took some money from my pocket, and bought Michael a bunch of tokens. The worker behind the prize counter put them into a plastic cup, handed it to me, before I handed it to Michael. "So, what do you want to play first?" I asked. Michael looked around for a few seconds. "Ooh, we HAVE to play that one!!" He exclaimed, pointing to a game labeled "Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA". He led me to the game cabinet, slipping a token in the coin slot.

"What is this game?" I asked. "Oh, it's a rhythm game! You press these buttons in sync with the ones on the screen to the music." He explained. He picked a song, and began mashing the buttons on the cabinet. I watched Michael play, until he finished the song. He played pretty well, but the scoreboard displayed at the end of the song stated that he missed 13 notes. Tickets dispensed from the ticket slot, and Michael grabbed them. "Aw come on! I only missed so much because my hand started to cramp!" He said, disappointed. "Can I give it a try?" I asked. He sighed, nodding and inserting another token into the machine. I picked a song called "The Intense Voice of Hatsune Miku".

I quickly hit as many notes as physically possible, the sound of the fast paced music filling my ears. This was singlehandedly the most difficult thing that I have ever done, my hands shifting from one button to another incredibly quickly. After all that, the song was over, and the final score was displayed. I had (somehow) only missed 4 notes in the entirety of the song. Michael looked extremely shocked. "How- How did you do that?! You've never played a rhythm game in your life!" He asked, amazed. "I don't really know to be honest. I think you did pretty good too!" I replied. "You're not just saying that because it's my birthday, right?" He asked. I shook my head. "You were good, honest! Let's go play some more games." I suggested.

After we played a few more games, we only had two tokens left. Michael noticed a giant wheel in the middle of the arcade, the wheel displaying different amounts of tickets. "Look, it costs two tokens! Do you think we should take a chance?" Michael asked. "Sure, let's do it!" I answered. Michael put the last two tokens into the machine, before pulling the lever to spin the wheel. We watched in anticipation, waiting for the wheel to stop. The wheel slowly came to a stop, landing on the section of the wheel labeled "15,000 ticket JACKPOT". "HOLY SHIT WE WON!!!" Michael exclaimed, jumping up and down. 

Michael quickly collected the many tickets that dispensed from the ticket slot, rushing over to the prize counter. "I want that giant gray cat plushy, the one that's 12,000 tickets!" He requested, putting his tickets on the counter. The worker behind the counter gave him the comically large plushy, taking 12,000 tickets in return. "Do you want the rest of the tickets?" Michael offered. "The only thing I really want is that laser pointer, you keep the rest of the tickets." I said, the worker behind the counter giving me a laser pointer. Michael spent the rest of the tickets on smaller toys and candy, before we left the arcade.

Michael POV
"So, what are you going to name your plushy?" Doe asked, as he walked me to the bus stop. "Hmmm.... I'll name him Smoky!!" I replied. (A/N: The cat plushy is based on my actual cat named Smoky!! <3) We got on the bus, sitting next to each other once again. Smoky was so large that I had to sit him in the seat next to me. "Thanks for taking me to the arcade, that was really fun!" I said to Doe. "You're welcome, but we're not done yet! I have a few more surprises for you." He said. Soon, the bus stopped at Doe's house, and we got off the bus.

Doe and I walked into his house, and I sat Smoky on his couch. Doe walked into the kitchen, bringing out a picnic basket. "We're going to have a picnic at the park! It's in walking distance, let's go!" Doe explained, grabbing my hand. "Wait, I have to grab Smoky!" I said, retrieving Smoky from the couch. Doe and I walked out of his house, making our way to the park. When we arrived, we found a spot underneath a tree, and Doe opened the picnic basket. He handed me a sandwich and a bottle of iced tea, and we ate lunch together.

After we were finished, Doe pulled something else out of the picnic basket. It was a box wrapped in blue wrapping paper. "This is the last surprise, I hope you like it!" Doe said, handing me the box, and I unwrapped it. It was a box of paint pens, them being a specific brand that I've been wanting for ages. "Oh my god, Doe! I love them! But these are crazy expensive, how did you afford them?" I asked. "I know you've been wanting these for a while, so I saved up enough money to buy them for you!" He replied. "Thank you so much! That's really thoughtful of you." I added. Doe kissed me on the cheek. "You're welcome, Happy Birthday Michael. I love you!" He said. "I love you too!" I replied, resting my head on his shoulder.

BIRTHDAY YIPPEE!!! Anyway I admit this got kind of sloppy towards the end but I think it was alright lol!! Also it feels kinda weird how 2022 just flew by and i feel like my last birthday was just a few days ago???? This wasn't my usual kind of oneshot and was purely experimental and a birthday present to myself, so i probably won't be writing another self insert any time soon. Also going to take a break for a little while, I'm feeling a bit burnt out when it comes to writing about Doe at the moment, but I'll be back eventually! Hope you all had a good day or night!!!

Wordcount: 1571