Intransigent | 25

Chapter 25
Emma's POV

Emily definitely had the flu. She was in the bathroom throwing up when I brought up the tray of soup for her and some sandwiches for Cindy.

"How is she doing?" I asked quietly as I set the tray down across the night stand until she came back in the room.

"She's holding her own," Cindy whispered back. "She doesn't want me in there while she's sick though."

I nodded in understanding. "I never wanted anyone in the room with me when I was throwing up either."

Emily eventually came out of the bathroom and I sat the tray across her lap in the bed and got a cold washcloth for her forehead before leaving her and Cindy alone for the night.

I headed down to the dining room for dinner. Ashton and Dane were waiting for me, but his parents had already finished dinner and disappeared to their own afternoon activities.

"So, the welcoming party is going to be tomorrow afternoon," Dane said as we began eating.

"That sounds great," I replied, reaching for a napkin and placing it near my plate so that I could reach it easily if I needed it. "Cindy won't be able to cook tomorrow though, so I'm going to need some help in there."

"Why can't Cindy cook tomorrow?" Dane asked in confusion.

"Emily is sick and I doubt that she will be well enough for Cindy to leave her by tomorrow." Werewolves generally don't heal from the flu very fast until about eighteen.

Dane nodded slowly, still looking slightly surprised. I knew that he would need some more time to get used to the way that I treated pack members. He's so used to the omegas doing everything that this is probably a shock to him.

"We can have it catered," Ashton suggested from beside me.

I shook my head. "No, I don't think that's a good idea. There shouldn't be humans at a pack welcoming party. Plus, this will provide a great opportunity to get to know some of the women in the pack. Just let all the women know that I'm looking for volunteers to help me cook tomorrow. Any and all are welcome and should be here by eleven."

Ashton watched me carefully, surprise almost hidden. "Are you sure?" he asked. "I don't know how many will be willing to help."

I shrugged. "I don't want anyone forced into helping me make the food. Any one who wants to help will be welcomed and have a great time. If not many people come, that's fine. I'll just set up a simple buffet."

Ashton nodded slowly. "Alright. I'll let them know after dinner," he replied. "I've got some work to do in the office tonight anyway."

Excitement trailed through me at his statement. "Oooh! I'll join you," I told him with a wide grin.

Dane laughed across the table. "You sound so excited to go sit in the office and do boring pack work."

"I like it," I replied with a shrug. "I want to know what's happening in the pack and have a hand in it."

Dane smiled at me respectfully. "I don't know how many times you've heard this, Emma, but you're going to make a great Luna."

"Thank you," I replied with an easy smile. "I do my best to take care of my people. It's how I was raised."

The rest of dinner was finished with easy conversation. I could understand why Ashton and Dane were such good friends. Their senses of humor were similar and they both enjoyed joking around when the atmosphere was light. They could both be serious when the situation called for it, but I enjoyed seeing them lighthearted and playful.