XXXI. Trouble

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Unlike us, your bodies are small and made of flesh—easily broken and unable to withstand point blank shots. If you want to take down a Decepticon, you have to do it hard and you have to do it fast, so you'll need to strike in their vulnerable areas," Ironhide spoke loudly to the large crowd of soldiers that had gathered around him, Brawn, and Springer. He paused to point at the Minibot's neck. "The best point is here; we have weaker armor, more sensitive wiring, and a main Energon line that runs along the side. If you break that, they'll lose fluid quick. If you can't hit this area then aim in between the armor at the arms and knees or, if possible, underneath the chassis."

Brawn's face was grumpy as usual while Ironhide held up his arm and tapped his belly for the Minibot to lift his chest up, and Catherine couldn't help but smile a little as she watched. The short Autobot was a mech of action, and thus hated being a "dummy" for his friend's lessons—a fact Ironhide was well aware of and loved to exploit. Springer knew it, too, but did a profound job of not smiling while Brawn grumbled softly. None of the other soldiers seemed to notice, their focus on learning where to hit the enemy. She already knew where thanks to her own talks with the battle-savvy mechs around the base, so she preferred to watch the silent and unseen actions between their teachers.

"You don't need to worry about your shots not being effective—the magnesium rounds are capable of burning through our armor, and so will easily break through the unprotected areas I showed you. All you humans need to worry about is keeping out of their line of fire and their melee range as well—one swing and you'll find yourself with something broken. And that's exactly what we're going to be working on today."

A soft murmur went through the group, heads turning to look at one another either excitedly or worriedly. The training up until now had mostly been on teamwork; learning formations and commands; how to move around one another; bonding; all the good stuff. This, however, was not that. Catherine already knew what was going on, having been told by Optimus and an unfortunately giddy Sideswipe, and so was not surprised as Ironhide began to explain.

The humans would be split up into five groups made of two teams each, which came out to about twelve soldiers per group. From there, they would be using the paintball guns they'd been provided to attempt to hit the five targets that had either volunteered or been picked. The goal was to strike the weak spots as many times as possible, but the targets wouldn't be standing still. All five Autobots would be moving at high speeds and they wouldn't just be running—they'd be on the attack, too. Of course, they couldn't actually hurt anyone, but if a soldier was caught by an uncharged gun or blade, they were "dead' and it was game over.

Essentially what I did, but in a smaller area, with more people, and more guns, the redhead mused as the black mech finished up his explanation. There was one other difference—there wasn't a time limit. It would only end when all the soldiers were dead or the targets had five hits to weak spots, or twenty to the main armor. Ironhide, Brawn, and Springer would be the judges so no one could cheat.

"Sound familiar?" Lennox whispered with a grin, and she smirked back.

"I was just thinking the same thing. I'm just glad I'm not going it alone this time," she chuckled before suddenly frowning. "Please tell me we didn't get Sideswipe."

He raised a brow, "He out to get you?"

"I, uh, made a bet with him. If, I, uh, have him as an opponent, that is."

"What did you bet?"

"If I lose, I have to help him pull a prank on anyone—Autobot anyone—and if we get caught, I have to take the blame," she grimaced, though Lennox snorted as he attempted to hide his laugh. "But if I win—as in, he gets taken down and I'm alive—then he has to tote me everywhere when I'm on the Autobot side, regardless if he has something to do, and he can't wash off the paint for a week."