1. Loss or Gain

Lying on the bed of her hostel room, shehnaaz's eyes were fixed on the large window of her room. Shehnaaz's mind was occupied with numerous thoughts and musings. For the first time in her life, she was stuck with the confusing thought of differentiating between right and wrong.

She had her tests going on at the University, However, shehnaaz was unable to focus on her studies. She was stressed about an email that she had received on her cellphone. This mail consisted of an acceptable response to an application that shehnaaz had submitted a few days back and forgot about it. She was supposed to be delighted to come across the good news but shehnaaz was worried. The smile was reluctant to show up on her face. She didn't infer how she should react to the mail on her phone.

The last month was nothing but a nightmare for shehnaaz . Her father suffered a severe cardiac arrest and was still recovering. Shehnaaz 's family lived in beautiful Minnesota. After completing high school shehnaaz Gill decided to step out of her comfortable life and extend her boundaries to Chicago. She had made it to the merit list of the LSAT (The Law School Admission Test) and had managed to grab a 100% scholarship. She had been enrolled in the JD (Juris Doctor or Doctor of Jurisprudence) program at Chicago School of Law.

Shehnaaz 's family was struggling with financial instability for a long time. Her father had a private job but due to his deteriorating health condition, he lost his job. Over some time, the circumstances made him bedridden. Shehnaaz had two siblings, who were in high school. Since her father suffered a heart attack, all of the responsibilities eventually fell on shehnaaz 's shoulders.

However, she would have to wait for another ten months to get her law degree and then get a job. A decent job was her topmost priority as shehnaaz was the only financial hope for her family. To cope up with the day-to-day expenses, shehnaaz was working part-time in a law firm. But alas! Her earnings were not sufficient enough to quench the financial needs of her family. The thought of leaving her degree in between and going back home had come to her mind several times. But the promise that she had made to her dad succeeded in resisting her decision of dropping out and she continued to struggle in managing things. Shehnaaz 's father always wanted her to be a successful lawyer, but with the current circumstances, he had taken a promise from her that she would complete her degree no matter what.

Tears rolled down her cheeks when she remembered her ailing father. The only thought that was reverberating in her head was money. She wanted to earn a hefty amount of money so that she could support her family and stand by them in these toughest times.

The mail that she had received was a chance that occurs once in a blue moon. It was a door to a golden opportunity for shehnaaz to earn a huge amount of money. She didn't want to miss out on it at any cost but it wasn't easy for her to execute what was written in the mail.

Shehnaaz had read the mail out loud about a hundred times and when she tapped on the mailbox icon on her phone and began to read it for the hundredth and one time, she was obstructed by a knock at the door.

"Amber, I didn't expect it from you. Why aren't you up? We need to go out for lunch. Don't you know that?" Jasmine shouted barging into the room.

Shehnaaz remembered that it was Thanksgiving and hence the hostel cafeteria was non-operational for the day.

"Oh yeah, I forgot. I didn't realize that it was Thanksgiving today and we won't be entertained in the hostel cafeteria," Shehnaaz responded.

Jasmine and shehnaaz were best friends and used to stay at the same hostel. Jasmine was pursuing the same degree course as shehnaaz .

Despite being called by her friend, shehnaaz did not move an inch from the bed.

This lazy behavior compelled Julia to hold her hand and drag her out of the bed.