26.0 Confessions

I quickly walked to my hut, in hopes that Kiri wouldn't follow behind me. I assumed Tsireya and Aonung would both have to stay with their parents for the moment.

Today had just been entirely too much. I felt embarrassment. Not because we kissed but because they found out.

Pushing my legs to walk through the sand faster I thought I made it when I could see my hut. But then a hand gripped mine, making me halt in my steps. 

Turning my head I made eye contact with Kiri. My cheeks heating up, I gulped and tried to start a conversation „Did he get in a lot of trouble?"
I asked, referring to Lo'ak.

She shook her head „They talked to him, but it will pass." she spoke calmly.

Nodding I opened my mouth to excuse myself with a made up reason, when she asked „Why didn't you tell me?" her expression seeming more serious now.

Staring back at her, startled, my brain rattled for a good answer. What should I have told her? Oh by the way, me and your older brother made out, just wanted to let you know.

Focusing back on the conversation I scratched my neck and shrugged „I thought it didn't matter. I'm sorry." my eyes meeting the ground, nervously awaiting her reaction.

„Yani, why are you apologizing? I just thought I might want to know when my brother found his potential mate." she held onto my shoulders and chuckled lightly.

Excuse me potential what?

With big eyes I shook my head and took her hands off me, holding her wrists „No, no, no you're misunderstanding. We decided to forget about it. There's nothing between us." I told her sincerely, corners of my mouth lifting at her far fetched idea.

Now she furrowed her eyebrows, looking confused
„What? Why not?"

„Kiri, it's not allowed. And I'm almost certain I'm promised to Teyney, sadly." I explained, looking into her eyes. If I was being honest I had barely thought about the promise my mother made to Teyneys family, and what would happen if I returned home.

„Oh Yani but you're not home now. No one knows about that." she tried to convince me with hopeful eyes.

Giving her a look I brought her back to reality „It is not allowed. And there's no trouble with that, we have agreed to remain friends." I smiled quickly, hoping I've told her enough for her to let it go.

Exhaling through her lips she closed her eyes and started shaking her head „You and I both know that's not true." She said in a breathy voice, sounding frustrated.

Tilting my head in confusion I stared at her, not following.

„Since we were small, you two had such a strong bond. That's not a bond between friends. You don't think he ever had other offers from girls? But he always chose you over them. You two belong together." she told me sincerely, now holding my both hands.

What kind of offers is she talking about? Which other girls?

„What offers?" the question slipped out of my mouth before I could do something about it.

Her mouth now formed into a big smirk before she innocently shrugged and started walking away from me.

„Kiri, tell me. I'm being serious." I went after her still expecting an answer.
But as a reply she only laughed, probably enjoying my curiosity.