Chapter 1 - Prophecy

~Isabella Wint~

This couldn't be true. I could not have been chosen. This was all a joke. It had to be. But I knew that wasn't the case. The letter in my hand looked pretty official to me, especially with the huge golden circle stamped on the right-hand corner.

For over a century, the Demon King has been getting his demons to come to Earth to kidnap humans and bring them down to the Demon Realm, Rovana. There, the Demon King tortures and brutally kills all these humans and no one really knows the reason behind it. Because of this, humans live in constant fear and none of us can be too safe anywhere we go.

A prophecy was found thirty years ago that states that the Demon King can be stopped by one human and one human alone. An eighteen year old teenage girl. The rest of the prophecy has been burned by the Demon King himself but the government was able to save the first little bit of it.

The government has come up with a system that randomly picks twenty, 18 year old girls every year from all over the world to be sent down to the Demon King hoping one of them will be able to succeed in killing him. But every year, all the girls have ended up dying instead. Not one girl has ever made it home safe.

And right now, I am holding a letter in my hand stating that I will be one of the twenty girls who will go down to Rovana try to stop this Demon King. I couldn't believe I was selected. I never thought it possible for me to be one of the girls. I just didn't think this would happen to me and I wasn't mentally prepared for this at all.

I personally think the prophecy's a fake. How are we supposed to go and stop the Demon King? The government sends us down with no protection or weapons at all either. They just hand us over to the King as a 'peace offering' and I bet the King thinks us humans stupid for thinking a peace offering can stop him.

Now I'll be sent down next week with nineteen other girls from all around the world, with no preparation or instruction at all as to how we're supposed to kill him. I don't think I could do it anyways. The thought of killing anyone makes me absolutely sick. Even if it is someone as horrible as the Demon King. It's a complete waste sending me down because I know I am definitely not the girl from the prophecy. The girl from the prophecy has to be someone brave and intelligent which is the complete opposite of me.

And I don't believe killing the King is the right thing to do. By killing him, won't we be stooping down to his level? I don't know what else we'd do but if we think about it, we could come up with something that could stop the King without having to kill him. There has to be a reason he kills humans. Shouldn't there be? The King before him had never killed any humans in his lifetime. So why does the one now like to kill? There had to be a reason.

I crashed down onto the sofa, staring at the letter in my hand. I couldn't understand how I could have been picked to stop the King. There were many girls who had a better chance of survival than me that could have been picked but no, it was I who got chosen.

I checked the time and noticed it was 11 pm. My parents would be coming home soon from their date. I didn't want to ruin their night by basically telling them I was going to die. But I had to tell them.

I was really proud of myself for not having broken down in tears yet at the thought of leaving and being killed. But I knew I'd start crying as soon as I told my parents and my little brother and sister about the news.

I angrily chucked the letter down on the ground not wanting to look at it any longer and grabbed a blanket from my bedroom before going back to the couch. I sat down, wrapping the blanket around me and switched the tv, hoping this was all just a nightmare.

The news was on and the news lady was talking about more human deaths caused by the Demon King. I quickly switched the channel to something else and an old black and white movie was playing. I decided to watch that until my parents came home. I didn't care if I liked it or not, I just wanted to keep myself distracted because I knew if I started crying I wouldn't be able to stop.