Mismatched Compatibility (3)

Ethan:

The food really helped to lighten up my mood. But the talking brought it back down.

I hated being ignored. It was like this girl knew it because she kept bringing up a topic that only she and Luke could talk about, subjects that she was sure I wouldn't know and couldn't contribute a thought to.

Luke kept shooting me glances. I was positive that he could tell from my expression what I was feeling. And it wasn't anything good.

So as soon as I finished eating, I drank the rest of my soda before turning to the girl who was dangerously testing my patience.

“When are you going to explain about that kiss?” I asked her nonchalantly.

Luke stared at me questioningly. But before I could continue, a felt a hard object hit me on the knee. Sharp pain instantly cursed through me.

“What the hell, Blondie?” I demanded, glaring at Daniella.

She already hit me twice in one day. I couldn't mask my fury anymore.

Ignoring me, she said calmly, “You mean the kiss my friend gave you.”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever floats your boat.”

“I think she'd rather not tell you,” she continued. “From the looks of it, you can't handle complex matters.”

“That's your problem,” I countered, leaning back on my seat and crossing my arms. “You think some things are complex when they're really just simple.”

“I'm quite sure I know the difference between the two. The question is, do you?” she challenged, raising an eyebrow at me.

I smirked. “You know, changing the subject won't make me shut up about it. Your friend has no idea how persistent I can be.”

She didn't reply, studying me – the way she did when we were in the plane, checking if I was really telling the truth.

Ha! For one, I was an epically good liar. For two, no way in hell would she know if I was being honest because she barely knew me. And lastly, I wasn't lying. I wouldn't let her walk all over me like that, using me for something I had no idea about.

We had a staring contest for a good five minutes until she finally let out an exasperated sigh. I grinned triumphantly.

“My friend saw her ex-boyfriend slash best friend unexpectedly,” she began, looking at me with an unreadable face. “She went into shock after seeing him again. And since it's been over a year after they broke up, she wanted to –”

“Make him jealous,” I finished for her.

She grimaced. “Of course not,” she said indignantly. “She only wanted to show him that she can handle herself now – that she wasn't the same delicate little girl she used to be. He and the others don't need to worry about her any longer.”

“See? That wasn't so 'complex', was it?”

She shot me a look, but I only gave her a smirk.

“In short,” I concluded thoughtfully, pursing my lips, “you don't want him to pity you.”

I caught her wince at my words.

I'd bet anything that the guy was some sort of ladies man. Their conversation earlier indicated something like that. And if so, he probably moved on pretty quick after their break-up. That meant Daniella would look pitiful.

It made me wonder if she had already moved on from it. Over a year had already passed since then, after all.

“What are your plans now?” I asked.